Friday, January 24, 2014

What do you look for in a conference?

I have been invited to be a panelist at UtopYA Con this year. Eeeppp!!!! I'm so excited! It's going to be such a thrill heading to the States and being able to meet writers I speak to online all the time.

I'm also pretty pumped about being able to talk writing for an entire weekend. There's nothing like associating with passionate writers to really get your fired up and inspired. It's also nice to be able to rabbit on about something you love with people who understand just how awesome it is.

I think that's the most beneficial thing about attending a conference - making those connections.

The very first conference I went to was the NZ Romance Writer's Conference in Auckland. As a newbie writer, I got so much out of it, including meeting a person who has become very dear to me...the lovely T. G. Ayer. She has since introduced me to some kiwi treasures who have become my critique partners and trusted friends.

I also met an agent from the States at that conference. I won a breakfast with her and we chatted about books and publishing, she gave me some fantastic pointers and then offered to look over one of my manuscripts.

It was the start of something really huge for me. I learned SO much from that weekend and it was a pivotal experience that set me on the course I'm currently walking.

So in my opinion conferences are definitely worth attending. I am stupidly excited about June this year!! I don't know what I'll come away with, but I'm confident the experience will spark something within me that will carry me further along this road. Whatever it may be, I'm totally psyched!!

Are you going to any conferences this year?
What do you look for when attending a conference?

2 comments:

  1. I've never been, but I hear they're wonderful. Everyone I've ever talked to or read posts from says they're glad they went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you make it to one at some point, Melissa :)

      Delete