Friday, October 25, 2013

Another Privilege of Being a Writer

As most of you already know, I simply ADORE being a writer. Yes it is really hard work and yes, sometimes I do wish I could step back and take a breather. But I have chosen the indie path and I couldn't be happier with my decision. For me I know there is so much more to come in this writing journey and I'm loving every part of it.

I feel very privileged to be in a position where my job is one I love. Writing doesn't feel like work to me and although I find marketing challenging, the fact I get to make up stories for a living takes the sting out of trying to get my books noticed. However one aspect of marketing that I really enjoy is the chance to talk about my books and writing to others...especially students.

Suzhou Singapore International School invited me to chat to some of their Literacy classes during Book Week. I had over 10 forty-minute sessions talking to high school students about my passion for writing and answering loads of questions - everything from cover design to how I go about constructing a story. Being able to rabbit on about writing this week was a privilege. Their questions were insightful and fun to answer. It made me realize that I have come to learn a lot about writing. The fact I could talk about it with such ease and no notes, means it must be ingrained. After 12 years, I still don't have the courage to call myself an expert, but I do have the courage to say I know what I'm talking about.

Another thing that occurred to me over this week is that last year, I used to tell people I was an indie author with a certain degree of shame. Like somehow because I wasn't traditionally published, I wasn't quite cutting it. I didn't feel that at all this year. As I was talking about what I had achieved in my two years as an indie author, I felt both pride and confidence. I am doing it. I am making a career out of writing and I am proud to be an indie author.

My biggest hope is that I have inspired the students. Hopefully they will realize that with a lot of hard work and persistence, they can become published authors...or whatever else they hope to be.

Thank you so much for having me SSIS. And thank you to the indie author community and my fans who have brought me to such a positive place in my writing life.


4 comments:

  1. You're awesome, Melissa! I wouldn't have the courage to talk to so many people... the idea of public speaking terrifies me! Good for you :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great achievement.. I'm not that forward..wish I wasn't so shy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much ladies. The fact I was talking to students really helped. If I had to address adults, it'd be an entirely different matter, I'm sure :D

    ReplyDelete