Tuesday, September 3, 2013

What We Can Learn From The Unexpected

Last week I was faced with the unexpected. A bike swerved out in front of mine and I can't tell you what happened, but I ended up face first on the road. I split my chin open, broke one of my molars in half and fractured my jaw.

It was a real shock and I now face a long road to recovery. It's not all bad. I can still talk (sort of), I can still interact with my family (carefully), I can still write (successfully).

I'm not saying I'm glad to be in this position, but I am incredibly grateful. Things could have been so much worse.

People keep commenting that there's sure to be a story in all of this. At first I thought - Yeah right! Like I'll ever write a story about this. But the more I've thought about it, the more I think - yeah, there is a story in this.

I might not write about my specific bike accident, but I now understand the pain of a broken bone, what it's like to close your eyes and relive the impact of the accident. I have also experienced shock and the symptoms that follow that. I know I could have researched all of this, but something a little extra comes from experiencing it in the flesh.

As I said, my accident could have been so much worse, but it's been enough to teach me a few things...things I can use in my writing.

I wouldn't wish this unexpected event on anyone. It hasn't been pleasant, but I am glad I can make the most of it. I have glimpsed both the good and the bad through this experience and I'm going to file it all away to use in my future work.

10 comments:

  1. You're amazing, never let anything get you down. Glad you're doing good from all that. hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you are OK, and thankful it wasn't your arm or fingers that were broken! Get healed quick x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine. Yes - SO grateful my fingers are still working :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry. I fell at Christmas last year and broke my face under my nose. Almost lost my front teeth. The pain was unbearable. So yes, I sort of know how you feel. Someday I may write about my experience too. Write what you know. I hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that :( It's really horrible.
      I hope you are able to use it for good some point down the track.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes it takes a while for the impact of an event to come home to roost. You are handling it well and I'm glad you see positive possibilities in ti. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just glad you're okay, Melissa. It must have been so scary. If you're able to take something from it, then that's great. It should help you heal inside too :) xxx

    ReplyDelete