Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Indie Life - It's All About The Blog Tour

I'm very excited to be part of The Indelibles Indie Life series. These posts run on the second Wednesday of every month and include ideas and articles from a wide variety of indie authors. Check out the links below to learn more about INDIE LIFE.

I am really interested to hear people's opinions on blog tours. I have one coming up on Sept 16th to feature my latest trilogy - The Elements Trilogy. (It's being run by A Tale of Many Reviews - the are awesome to work with - reliable and always have a big list of bloggers to draw from.)

Now, I personally think they are a necessary part of writing life. You need someone to help you spread the word about your books, you need to build up reviews...what better way to do this than organise, or have someone else organise, a blog tour.

I have done at least three blog tours since publishing my first book and I have enjoyed being a part of all of them...but they have very rarely resulted into huge sales for me. My books have been added to many reading lists because of them and yes I have gained reviews and exposure. They are good...I just wish they resulted in more sales. I don't mean to sound money hungry - that's not what writing is about, but I do think it's important to consider how much you're spending on a tour and if you'll make your money back. Or is that not important? Is it actually worth spending that money just to get some buzz happening around your books?

Another thing to consider is how to use tours as an effective way to gain new readers. In the past I have always used the same people to do tours for me and I had an epiphany a few weeks back when I suddenly realized that I was advertising to the same readers over and over again. So I do think it's worth looking into using different people to help you spread the word. But it's also important to choose people that are reliable. I have worked with brilliant people in the past - A Tale Of Many Reviews being my favourite - but I'm branching out now and look forward to reporting back on other publicity companies I have used to run tours for me.

So I guess my final conclusion is that blog tours are worth it. They are a great way to make connections, find new fans and gain yourself some decent exposure.

What are your thoughts?
Does every book you release need to be accompanied by a tour? Or is it better to save up tours for later on in a books life - a way of reviving it perhaps?


4 comments:

  1. I have not (yet) participated in a virtual book tour, but I've read a lot about them and so far have yet to find anyone who can point to quantifiable book sales as a result. I certainly agree sales are a very good thing, but I also believe this journey to build a sustainable author business is a long one, and everything we do to build brand and establish credibility gets us a little further along the road. Wishing you success with your tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent comments, Marquita. I agree. It's sometimes hard to have long term vision, but it's a good way to think.

      Thanks so much for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I've done a couple of book tours myself - without using the services of a publicity company but next time I plan on doing so because it's so much hard work! And incredibly time consuming. Time that ought to be spent writing.
    Like you Melissa, I haven't seen a big increase in sales with the tour though. But they're worth doing just to spread the word about my books and me. I agree that it's probably a good idea to use different companies. Good luck with your tour :D x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - it definitely helps having someone organise the tour for you!
      Thanks, Suzy :D

      Delete