Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Importance Of Chatting With Other Authors

A few weeks ago, I had the privilege of hanging out with three amazing ladies - Leigh K. Hunt, Cassie Hart and T. G. Ayer. These writers have become dear friends since I met them in 2010. We formed a Facebook group first - Inklings. Through posting, sharing and leaving screeds of comments, we got to know each other.

And then in late July this year, I got to meet Leigh and Cassie face-to-face. Tee and I flew down, from Auckland to Wellington, for the night and we spent 48 hours basically talking about writing. It was awesome. I came away exhausted, yet totally inspired. It was cool to be in a room of people that didn't mind you harping on about your passion. We never tired of it. The conversation would lull for a moment or the topic might drift to something family related, but within half an hour we were right back to chatting about writing.

It made me realize how important it is to spend time with people who understand the craft, who are passionate about storyline, character development, and the intricacies of writing. We were able to discuss cover design, marketing tips...have a little moan about the challenging aspects of this job.

I guess the purpose of this post is to encourage you to get involved with other authors. Whether it be online or through face-to-face contact, make the time to share your writing journey with others who will understand it. You will get so much more out of the experience if you do.

15 comments:

  1. It really makes all the difference, no one will get you like another author.

    Sounds like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the best time. Yes - it's very true. Authors rock!

      Delete
  2. It was an awesome experience to be able to do that face to face, rather than over the net (though thank heavens for the internet!). What Brandon said is true, through and through - no one will get an author like another author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something so different about being able to chat face to face. The internet is awesome, but nothing beats the real thing xx

      Delete
  3. I love catching up with other writers, which is why I joined the Romance Writers Group, plus a couple of us from KiwiWriters catch up also. But meeting people on Skype is just as awesome and amazing, especially people you have been corresponding with for ages.

    I'm so jealous that the four of you caught up, but so excited for you all too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Catherine. You're so sweet.

      Yes - writer's guilds is a really great way to go.

      Delete
  4. It was a seriously awesomesauce catch up :-) Totally inspiring, and I can't wait for our next session. It's not just about writing though, although that's incredibly important - but its also about being able to bounce ideas, different solutions, and just being similar creative souls in the same company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. We had such great brainstorming sessions. Time disappeared. I loved it :D

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad we had a chance to get together. I really do miss our regular coffee dates ;)
    And as for author meets/retreats I think they are amazing. It's certainly a cathartic experience being able to to talk to each other without the fear that you are boring the shizzles out of the other people in the room!
    You guys rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with what you're saying, Melissa. I recently met an author (she hasn't published yet) in person (she's calling me her 'mentor' which is very sweet) for the first time. We really hit it off and became firm friends. Unfortunately, living in the Algarve, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting many others although I just discovered a favourite YA author of mine is living less than an hour away from me! We've arranged to meet up when the weather cools down a bit. I can't wait!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool!! Have the best time together. It'll be awesome :D

      Yes - being in China restricts me, which was why this NZ trip was such a treat.

      Thank goodness for the internet!!

      Delete
  7. Agreed. My current best friend is a writer in my city that I met quite by accident only two years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool. It's awesome hanging out with someone you have so much in common with. Writing rocks!!

      Delete
  8. I just nominated you for the Super Sweet Blogger Award on my Screwing Up Time blog.

    ReplyDelete