Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Indie Life - It's All About the Sequel

I'm very excited to be part of The Indelibles Indie Life series. These posts run on the second Wednesday of every month and include ideas and articles from a wide variety of indie authors. Check out the links below to learn more about INDIE LIFE.

I have been published since 2011 and it has not taken me long to figure out that in this game, writing series and sequels is the way to go. I have seven books published now with another one due for release in August and looking back over my stats, my trilogy is the strongest seller by far.

It makes sense though, doesn't it? Readers invest their time in these characters, get to know them, fall in love with them. Of course they are more likely to buy another book involving these people. It's a great way to develop a lasting readership or build a fan base. Speaking as a reader, I don't like saying goodbye to characters I fall in love with and it's fun watching them grow throughout a series.

From a writers viewpoint, it's great business. You can put the first book on sale, or free, and this leads to subsequent sales for the rest of the series. I have found this to be hugely successful for me, which is why I decided to go for rapid fire releases with my second trilogy. The first two books are already out - Unknown in June and Unseen in July. The 3rd book - Unleashed - is due out in August. I am then going to spend my marketing budget in September. That's when I'll run some sales, pay for some advertising, do a blog tour, etc. Once the readers can access all three books quickly. I have never done this before and am really interested to analyze it all at the end and see how it's paid off.

If you're anything like me, you have a million stories in your database and new ideas constantly popping into your head. Writing series takes staying power. I am always tempted to keep releasing new stuff, stand alone stories, but I am curbing that desire for now. Sure, I'll still do the odd stand alone, but from the results I've seen in my own writing, they will never take off as well as my series.


6 comments:

  1. I keep hearing that getting several books out is the key to this - it's great to know that your sereis is doing so well!

    I'm just starting out, so I better get busy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on your journey. I'm sure you'll do great :D

      Delete
  2. Series is definitely the way to go... I loved your Time Spirit (I just HAD to buy the sequels the moment I finished the previous books) series and your Unseen series! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it really helpful to leave the reader with a taste of what's to come, so they are desperate for more. It's worked well for me. That's partly why I release so quickly. I don't want the reader to have to wait for the next instalment :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, I totally agree with this. My first book has done so much better now that I've released its prequel. There is another to come, although I'm releasing a standalone first that is completely different because it just had to be done. I couldn't let it lie and need to get it out of my system. I've only been published since January, so I have a long way to go, but I'm having so much fun, and the more I give my readers, the better everything will be. Good luck with the new series :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear. I'm so glad you're enjoying the journey. I absolutely LOVE being a writer. It's the best job ever!!!

      Delete