Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Jumping Through Time with Jeff LaFerney

I met Jeff LaFerney a couple of years ago when I was first starting out on my indie author journey. He has been a great support and become a good friend, so when he told me about his latest release, I had to invite Jeff to my blog so he could tell us a little about his latest book, Jumper.

Thanks so much for visiting, Jeff. It's so awesome to have you.

First here's a little info about his latest book, Jumper...

After spending three years in jail and others completely alone, twenty-four-year-old Cole Flint discovers an amazing ability—he can time-travel and teleport. He’s a jumper. So what should the motorcycle-riding, cage-fighting tough guy do? He should protect an innocent eighteen-year-old girl who happens to be in possession of the Staff of Moses. Following the direction of a trio of angels who are determined to shake things up in the Middle East, Cole pairs up with Hannah Carpenter and her pet grizzly while he also tries to change his past and learn the mystery of his birth. Curiously, the King of Jordan knows all about Hannah, and he’s determined to gain possession of the staff. He’ll do anything to possess its power, but is it possible that he’s no more than a pawn, manipulated in time along with Cole and Hannah? Jumper is a mysterious roller coaster of action and a time-traveling adventure that will keep readers guessing right to the very last page.

It sounds like such a great read. I have it waiting on my kindle and I can't wait to get into it. You can buy a copy on Amazon.

And now let's hear from the man himself...

What was the hardest part about writing time travel?
Time. Seriously. Time is fairly difficult in all books, but as soon as you start messing with it, it gets all mixed up. I had this somewhat unrealistic desire to follow the “rules” of time travel according to the scientists. When I’d start moaning that what I was writing was impossible, my wife occasionally would remind me that I was writing fiction and that time travel wasn’t real—I could do what I wanted to do. Let me also say this: I had this great idea that if my time traveler took Hannah  Carpenter back in time to hide her, no one could possibly find her. It was a great idea…until I realized that if no one could find her, there would be no more plot. This led to some serious thinking, and the end result is a twist on time travel that I’ve never seen before.

Who's your favourite character in the book and why?
I honestly think that in all of my books, my favorite characters are minor characters. In the book I have one scene with a lady named Lillian Marsh who had an experience with a teleporter and tried to explain it. She made me laugh the whole time I was writing the scene. My other favorite character was a grizzly bear named Teddy. He actually is an important character to the plot, including becoming the final motivation behind Hannah’s conflict with the King of Jordan, but mostly he’s good comic relief.

Did you have an actor in mind that would play your MC?
Cole Flint is super cool. He is tough and fearless. He’s got a great sarcastic wit. He drives an amazingly awesome motorcycle and he jumps and time travels. He also has a soft heart and looks out for the underdog. If I had to pick a character to play him, it would be Mark Wahlberg—a young version.

What is the most enjoyable part of the writing process for you?
It consumes time, but I like the research part the best. I pulled off a brain surgery in Bulletproof after doing extensive research. A brain surgeon suggested I make one change. For Jumper I researched various geographies, time travel, motorcycles, cage fighting, grizzly bears, the coolest trail climb in the Swiss Mountains ever, etc, etc. I research even the smallest details and take pride in the accuracy of my writing.

Do you have any future projects planned?
If all goes according to plan, I’ll write three more time travel books. The next one has been mostly planned and will be my next project. I have the beginning set for my next Clay and Tanner Thomas mystery, so that may be the next book. I’d love to write a book in the first person point of view about my “midget” attorney, Jasper. He’s so much fun that if I can think of a trial that can include a comedy of errors, I’ll love writing that one.

Top 5
1. Favourite author: Harlan Coben
2. Favourite TV show: The Mentalist
3. Favourite ice cream flavor: Orange sherbet
4. Favourite music: Contemporary and Christian rock
5. Favourite hobby (other than writing): Sports (coaching, playing, watching, dreaming)

 I’ve been a language arts teacher and coach for nearly twenty-seven years. I earned my English and teaching degrees from the University of Michigan-Flint and my master's degree in educational leadership from Eastern Michigan University. My wife, Jennifer, and I have been married for twenty-six years. We have two college-aged children, Torey and Teryn. Loving the Rain is my first suspense novel in the Clay and Tanner Thomas series.  The second, Skeleton Key, and the third, Bulletproof, are paranormal mysteries.  Jumper is a time-travel, action/adventure. I love competing at sports, connecting to good books, and creating words that make people laugh.

You can connect with Jeff on the links below. 

Facebook      Website    Blog  



7 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me, Melissa. If you recall, I connected with you because I LOVED your books. Your friendship has been a fantastic bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff. It's been awesome getting to know you.
      I love the writing community because of people like you.

      Delete
  2. Orange sherbet ice cream?!? Where have I been? lol
    Jumper sounds fabulous... I love reading about time travel and to picture the lead character played by Mark Wahlberg, well... yummy :D
    Good luck with the book, Jeff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I know! Mark Wahlberg - swoon :D

      Delete
  3. I see a crossover book in your future - that would be cool!! Just saying!! Now I have to go back and re-read Jumper so that I can picture a young Mark Wahlberg as Cole. Best Wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha :D thanks Jessica.
      Enjoy reading Jumper again.

      Delete