Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Indie Life - It's All About Exposure


I'm very excited to be part of The Indelibles Indie Life series. These posts run on the second Wednesday of every month and include ideas and articles from a wide variety of indie authors. Check out the links below to learn more about INDIE LIFE.

I am doing a bit of a series with these posts. I've talked about balance, quality and attitude.

Today I want to talk about the importance of exposure.

There is no point writing all these amazing books if no one can find out about them. For me, marketing is the hardest part of this job, but I am learning as I go and here are a few things I've discovered that work really well for me.

These are all cases of: "You have to give a little to get a little."

- Giving out copies for review. I know this kind of goes without saying, but it's really important to get a bunch of solid reviews behind your book before you start really pushing the advertising. This is just my opinion, others may disagree here, but I think reviews give your book credit. Plus book bloggers rock - like mega rock - and if they like your stuff, will help you spread the word far and wide. Be nice to bloggers and they'll be nice to you ;-)

- Doing a freebie. I put my first novel, Golden Blood, online for free. It was the best decision I ever made. I have subsequently sold hundreds of copies of the other two books in my series, something I never would have done if it hadn't been for me being willing to lose the money on the sale of my first book.

- Paid advertising. I have paid for advertising twice so far and both times it has been worth every penny. I have made my money back really quickly and it's led to higher rankings, more exposure and continuing sales for the few weeks after. I have used Bookbub.com for my advertising so far, but I know there are plenty of sites out there.

- Group sales. If you can be a part of a group sale, this is a really great way to get your book some exposure. You want to open yourself up to as many readers as possible, so if you are part of a group sale, all the cross promotion can only do you a favour.

- It's the same with giveaways. What better way to score your fan page some likes, gain some more followers and generally get your name out there. It costs you nothing more than a few e-books. Better yet, if you go in with a group of authors, you can put together better prize packs for really low cost. I have an example going on at my YAlicious blog if you'd like to check it out.
Indie Inked Mother's Day Giveaway.

I know there are plenty of other ways to gain exposure for your work. I am learning new things all the time, but the ones above have been my most successful.

What have you done to gain yourself readers?


6 comments:

  1. What great advice! I've put up a loss-leader for a series, and it definitely works. And book bloggers are awesome people. I haven't done much with group sales, but I definitely can see how they would work well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Cherie. I think a loss-leader has been my most effective move yet. I'm glad it's worked for you too :)

      Delete
  2. These are great tips! Never thought of group sales. I've only published an anthology so far and struggled to find book blogs who would take it - would you know of any? I've been lucky to have some great reviews and word of mouth otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nick :-) Thanks for stopping by.

      I think finding reviews for an anthology is really hard. I am involved in two and we've hardly managed any reviews. Sorry I can't help you.

      I have been very lucky too with people leaving me very kind reviews. Thank you is such an insufficient word sometimes :-)

      Delete
  3. I've done the giveaway, done the FREE, and now I've offered up 10 paperbacks up on Goodreads for reviews. I'm learning as I go while I prepare to publish some shorts that are unrelated to my novel. ***shrugs***

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool. The paperbacks on Goodreads is another really good one. I should have mentioned that too!

      Delete