Thursday, May 30, 2013

How Long Should A Book Be?

YA writers and bloggers unite each week to share their thoughts on what it's like going indie in today's publishing world.

I have seen a few discussions about book length recently, so it's quite timely that we are discussing it YA Indie Carnival today.

As a reader I prefer shorter books. It's probably due to the fact that I am very busy and I like to be able to get through a book quickly. I've actually really been enjoy novellas lately. 

I think book length relates to genre a little. Fantasy books tend to be longer, where as a contemporary romance would be shorter. 

Because I write YA, I tend to aim for about 60,000 words. I'm usually a little either side of this, but never less that 55,000 words. The fantasy trilogy I'm working on now is closer to 70,000 words per book. 

One of my goals as a writer is to make my books so compelling that readers find them hard to put down. I have had quite a few reviewers commenting that they've read my books in one sitting. If my books were much longer, I don't think this would be possible.

I'm really happy with the length I aim for at the moment.

How about you? 
As a reader, what length do you prefer to read?
As a writer, what length do your books tend to be?

If you'd like to find out what the other carnival goers think, you can follow the links below. 
And don't forget to check out our latest news on our YA Author Club site.

1.Laura A. H. Elliott2.Bryna Butler, author Midnight Guardian series
3.T. R. Graves, Author of The Warrior Series4.Suzy Turner, author of The Raven Saga
5.Rachel Coles, author of Into The Ruins, geek mom blog6.K. C. Blake, author of Vampires Rule and Crushed
7.Gwenn Wright, author of Filter8.Liz Long | Just another writer on the loose.
9.Ella James10.Maureen Murrish
11.YA Sci Fi Author's Ramblings12.A Little Bit of R&R
13.Melissa Pearl14.Terah Edun - YA Fantasy
15.Heather Sutherlin - YA Fantasy

3 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all sorts of books and for me story > length, but I can see where in some genres less word count can mean a cleaner version of the story.

    I try to keep anything I write in YA, and more current timelines to under 100k, but with my straight fantasy all bets are off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool, Brandon. I know many fantasy books are quite long. I'm sure my upcoming fantasy is going to break all the rules by only being 70k :)

      Thanks so much for stopping by :)

      Delete