Friday, March 22, 2013

Goodreads - What's Good and What's Not

YA writers and bloggers unite each week to share their thoughts on what it's like going indie in today's publishing world.

As a reader and a writer, I am a big fan of Goodreads. 

From a reader's perspective, I love being able to add books to my reading list. I love being able rate books, tell people why I loved them and let people know what I'm reading. I love seeing what other readers think about books too. I have read some amazing stories thanks to recommendations on Goodreads.

From a writer's perspective, I really do love it. I think it is a great way to get exposure for my work. I love the Event feature, the Giveaway and the Listopia features. I have had many people add my books to their reading lists because of these. Unfortunately these do not always result in sales, but at least the interest is there. 

I know some authors do not like Goodreads. I think people are far more ready to leave their honest opinions on this site and they hold nothing back. Some authors have been badly burned by nasty comments and reviews. I don't have a problem with someone not liking my books. Reading is a very subjective thing and people have a right to their opinions. I do think people need to be careful how they word these opinions though. You can still be respectful in your dislike of something. 

All-in-all I will be forever grateful to my friend, T. G. Ayer, who put me onto Goodreads in the first place. It has been awesome for my writing career and it definitely motivates me to read more as well. 

What do you think of Goodreads?


Check out what the other YA Indie Carnival members think on their sites, which are listed below.

You can also check out the YA Author Club for the latest updates and news on what we're all up to.

1.Laura A. H. Elliott2.Bryna Butler, author Midnight Guardian series
3.T. R. Graves, Author of The Warrior Series4.Suzy Turner, author of The Raven Saga
5.Rachel Coles, author of Into The Ruins, geek mom blog6.K. C. Blake, author of Vampires Rule and Crushed
7.Gwenn Wright, author of Filter8.Liz Long | Just another writer on the loose.
9.Ella James10.Maureen Murrish
11.YA Sci Fi Author's Ramblings12.A Little Bit of R&R
13.Melissa Pearl14.Terah Edun - YA Fantasy
15.Heather Sutherlin - YA Fantasy



4 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed it. It's fun to see what others think of books I've enjoyed. As I am thinking of self publishing soon I may one day get one of those opinions, lol.

    I agree about the respect people could have when giving a critique, but I am also used to the internet where manners are not always in supply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Brandon. I'm glad you have fun on Goodreads too. Good luck with your writing. I hope you have the opportunity to publish soon :)

      Delete
    2. Great post Mel <3

      I'll always say that any forum that allows a reader to express their opinion on a book is an awesome place to be. That being said, I too often see readers who review a book and say "I didn't like it so I say don't even bother to read it" as opposed to readers who say "Not my taste for these reasons. But that's just my opinion."
      Personally I'm totally fine with bad reviews, even the two stars that don't explain why they disliked the book because readers should be able to express how the book made them feel, and not everyone will love what you wrote.
      Goodreads and websites like it are here to stay, and authors should use them. But I'd recommend author etiquette. Don't respond to bad reviews. Don't try and get bad reviews deleted by GR unless the reviewer is offensive or libellous and even then use your discretion. Some people advocate that authors shouldn't respond to good reviews either, that having an author weigh in is intimidating to a reader. Don't engage in contentious or defensive conversation within groups or on random boards. Protect your reputation by behaving the best way you can.

      Delete
    3. Excellent comments, Tee. Thanks for stopping by.
      I totally agree that as authors we do have reputations to uphold and we need to be so careful.

      Delete