Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Are You Living The Life You Want To Live?

On Thursday, my dear Nana passed away. I am one of those lucky few who has lived for 34 years knowing all four of my grandparents. Nana is the first to go. Ironically out of the four, she was the healthiest. Her sudden heart attack took me by surprise, but I was so grateful that her suffering only lasted a few days. I am so sad that she is gone.


Death has always made me reflective. I've been to a few funerals in my time, some absolutely tragic, others celebrations of a life well-lived. Being in China, I was unable to attend Nana's funeral yesterday, but I spent most of my day thinking about her... and about life.

My brain buzzed with all my happy memories of Nana. Her conspiratorial winks as she passed me a candy from her special bag when my mom wasn't looking, the tight squeezes she gave me whenever I arrived at her house, the amazing baking she always lavished upon me. I also thought about those times when I was a teenager and rolled my eyes at the thought of having to go around to my grandparents for a visit... or those times in recent years when I was just too busy to drop in a say hi to them. Oh how I wish I'd taken the time.

Life is short. So incredibly short. We never know which moment will be our last. It makes me want to ensure that I am not wasting a minute of my time. It makes me want to hug my children extra tight before I put them to bed. It makes me want to stop rushing around the house tidying and sit down to play games with them. It makes me want to linger when I kiss my husband goodbye. It makes me want to fit Skype calls and e-mails to my family and friends into my daily routine. And when I do get those moments to myself, it makes me want to spend time doing the thing I love the most. Write my stories.

I often say how lucky I feel to be doing what I truly love. When I do pass from this earth, I know I will have been living my life to the fullest. Loving those around me and sharing my imagination with the world are my two key focuses. If anyone asks me, "Are you living the life you want to live?" I can say yes... and that feels so incredibly good.

Can you say the same thing?
Do you know what your dreams are?
Are you making them happen?

My hope and prayer is that your answer is also, yes.


7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful blessing that not only have you been able to know your grandparents, but that your children have too!

    Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie. You are such a sweetheart.

      I do feel blessed. This photo is very precious to me.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss, Melissa. My paternal grandmother died when my Dad was a child and my maternal grandmother died when I was very young. I also lost my mother as a child too. Sadly, both my grandfathers passed away within the past five years or so. With me living in Portugal and them in England, I barely ever saw them. I do really miss that. It must have been wonderful to have known all of your grandparents up to your 30s. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel extremely lucky. I'm so sorry for your losses. It must have been so hard losing your mother as a child as well. How heart breaking for you.

      You're amazing, Suzy.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Melissa. And ... ditto! xx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful tribute and good questions. You'll miss Nana but she will remain with you in those wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true, Yvonne. Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete