Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Will You Venture With Me?

Last week I put forward the question - is it okay for an author to write in multiple genres?

If you'd like to read the post, you can check it out here.

I asked the question because I guess I've been a little worried about writing in a slightly different genre. You see, my next project is a YA fantasy... and I'm talking old school fantasy - you know with magic and mythical creatures, adventure and a treacherous quest.

It has been SO much fun to work on, but it's also been super scary. I've never done anything like this and it is stretching me so far. I've nearly given up a few times, but I feel like the story is good and worth telling.

Doubts have accosted me at every turn, but for some reason, I keep on ploughing ahead. Hopefully I will look back and be grateful for my tenacity, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

So - to my dear readers - who I respect and appreciate so much... in June when the first book of this trilogy is released... will you venture with me? Will you journey into new territory? Will you take a step into the Unknown?


UNKNOWN COVER REVEAL COMING FEBRUARY 19.


12 comments:

  1. YAY! Exciting :-) Of course we will venture on new adventures with you!

    I'm sure that whatever direction you choose to take your writing in, it will work. Don't worry about readers - you are expanding your reading horizons by writing across genres :-) (ANd it's not tooooooooo far different from your current YA - as that is more Urban Fantasy YA, and that all stemmed originally from traditional Fantasy - so you're doing fine!)

    Xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so completely awesome! Thanks for your encouragement. I like the idea of expanding my reader base. I guess you never know what doors will open up.

      Delete
  2. Oooh how exciting, Melissa! I'm totally intrigued and can't wait to read your new books... it sounds totally my kind of read!
    (let me know if you need a beta reader!!)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Suzy! I'll be in touch once I've finished my next draft.

      Delete
  3. Trying new things is what makes us grow. If you keep to the same old, same old then you just become complacent. Reaching for the stars is where amazing things come from. There is nothing wrong with going past the stars and shooting for the super nova!! You need to believe in yourself like we all believe in you. You have an amazing talent and I for one know in my heart that this book will be INCREDIBLE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lourie, that is so incredibly kind of you to say. Thank you so much!!

      I love the idea of shooting for a super nova. Very cool :oD

      Delete
  4. The worst thing you can do is put yourself in a box and be defined by one thing...you are a writer...you write stories, regardless of genre and subject :)

    I just know that this new venture is goin' rock!!

    Stay strong, and keep writing <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I have written one light hearted book featuring humorous tales from a hospital patient, one non fiction book on sociology/philosophy/psychology and I'm now working on another humorous book with a fantasy book in the planning for the future.
    So yep, diversity is the nature of creation.
    Good luck & best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Michael. Part of the reason I want to diversify is so that I don't get stale. I want to keep my work energetic and interesting for my readers.

      I like that you have written a variety. Best of luck with your work :D

      Delete