Friday, January 25, 2013

Kindle/Amazon - All In Or Diversify?

YA writers and bloggers unite each week to share their thoughts on what it's like going indie in today's publishing world.

I think this is a really interesting discussion for the week. I have read many comments on this topic and although I can see where everyone is coming from, I still remain firmly on my side of the camp.

I diversify.

Amazon is amazing and I am really glad I have my books featured on their site. I like their set up and I buy most of my books through them.

However, I never want to feel like they are my only option, so I have made sure that my books can be purchased in as many places as possible.

I have spoken to various people about KDP Select and looked at how it has worked for some and not for others. Either way, I don't like the idea of having to make my books exclusive. I want my market to be broad. The more people who can access my books, the better. This makes sense to me. 

Amazon is still my top seller, but I am starting to sell more and more books through Barnes and Noble, Apple, Kobo and Sony. Who knows what will become of each of these retailers. I like the idea that my options are open.

What do you think?
Do you have your books published everywhere or is Amazon the one you like to stick with?

If you'd like to hear what the other YA Indie Carnival members think, then you can check out their sites below.

You can also check out the YA Author Club for the latest updates and news on what we're all up to.

1.Laura A. H. Elliott2.Bryna Butler, author Midnight Guardian series
3.T. R. Graves, Author of The Warrior Series4.Suzy Turner, author of The Raven Saga
5.Rachel Coles, author of Into The Ruins, geek mom blog6.K. C. Blake, author of Vampires Rule and Crushed
7.Gwenn Wright, author of Filter8.Liz Long | Just another writer on the loose.
9.Ella James10.Maureen Murrish
11.YA Sci Fi Author's Ramblings12.A Little Bit of R&R
13.Melissa Pearl14.Terah Edun - YA Fantasy





4 comments:

  1. This has been a fun discussion. I've checked out a couple of the other blogs and they have been great. I diversify. For me it is important to get my story in the hands of readers more than climb the charts at Amazon. Although amazon is where most sales take place- I get many sales in other mediums, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Rebecca :)
      Yes - I agree - availability is important to me too.

      Delete
  2. Great post. I think we were all of the same mind this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I actually like that. It makes me feel like I'm on the right track. Thanks for stopping by, Bryna :o)

      Delete