Friday, November 2, 2012

YA Indie Carnival - Work In Draft or Newly Released


YA writers and bloggers unite each week to share their thoughts on what it's like going indie in today's publishing world.

I love posts like this week's. It's so fun to see what writers are working on or what they have just released. 

So - we have all been instructed to include a cover image, the synopsis and a paragraph from the book. Bring it on! I hope you enjoy reading through all these posts as much as I will.

Okay - so for me, it's all about Betwixt (which I'm sure many of you know!). Only a few more sleeps and Betwixt will be online!! Can't wait!!! So, so, SO excited to share it with everybody :)

Beautiful, wild-chid Nicole Tepper is hit by a car and left for dead. But when she wakes the next morning, Nicole finds herself in bed without a scratch. Perhaps she was more intoxicated than usual, as her mother is giving her the silent treatment and her friends are ignoring her as well. 

Things take a turn for the weird when Nicole soon discovers she is actually hovering between life and death. Her body is lying in the forest while her spirit is searching for anyone who can hear her. Unfortunately the only person who can is Dale Finnigan, the guy she publicly humiliated with a sharp-tongued insult that has left him branded.

Desperate, Nicole has no choice but to haunt Dale and convince the freaked-out senior to help her. Will he find her body before it's too late? Or will the guy who tried to kill her with his car, beat him there and finish her off before anyone finds out?

It's always hard finding an excerpt that won't give anything away, but will also intrigue the reader. Hopefully this will do the trick...

   "Penny. Amber." I walk next to my friends. "Why aren't you guys worried? What if Trent's lying? How did I end up in the forest? Please, someone, hear me."
   "What if she's not shopping?" Penny drops her books on the big library table. At least she looks a little worried.
   Thank you. Finally.
   "Maybe she's run away. She's been threatening to do it for months." Amber pulls out a chair. "Trent did say she was acting weird last night. Maybe when he dropped her off she collected her stuff and left?"
   "What's the bet some studly picked her up and they're now getting married in Vegas."
   Everyone laughs at Matt's joke.
   "Maybe some trucker kidnapped her and she's locked in the back with a trailer load of livestock." Amber giggles.
   "Why would that be funny?" My voice punches out in harsh syllables.
   "Maybe she's on a bus to New York. Hashtag, Nicole makes a break for it." Penny smiles.
   "Penny, not you too. I haven't run away." I throw my bag on the table. "You guys!"
   "Maybe she's dead." The table goes silent at Lauren's casual statement. They all look at her then at each other... then all start cracking up.
   "Why are you guys laughing? I'm not dead. I'M NOT DEAD." I scream.
   Out of the corner of my eye, I see a head pop up from a book and look around the room as if he just heard something.
   "I'm not dead." I yell across the room.
   He flinches, lowers his book and looks straight at me.
   I wince.
   Dale Finnigan.
   Un-freaking-believable.

To find out what the other carnival goers are up to, you can check out the links below. I'd also like to welcome a new member to the group - Terah Edun. Welcome! It's cool to have you with us.


Don't forget to check out YA Author Club for all the latest news and to learn more about the authors.

And finally - if you'd like a chance to win a digital copy of Betwixt, there is currently a pre-release giveaway going on. Entry details are below.

Thanks for stopping by :)

a Rafflecopter giveaway

12 comments:

  1. I received an ARC (advanced reader copy) of Betwixt, and it was awesome. I think Melissa's fans will love it, and new fans will find her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm announcing the release of Betwixt on the blog Monday. Woot! Best of luck. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay - thank you so much. You're awesome :)

      Delete
  3. Totally loving your cover lady!!! And your new book baby sounds awesome! Let me know how I can share the news :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! If you'd like to help me share the news through your social media channels, that'd be fabulous. Thank you so much!

      Everyone's support and enthusiasm means so much to me :)

      Delete
  4. I will definitely be adding this to my to-be-read list. Great post! ヅ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      Your book sounds pretty intense as well! Good luck with NaNo. LOVE the cover too. Good job :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds like such a cool story. I love the quote in your excerpt that has a hashtag in it. Too funny. I actually have a friend that talks that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic. I heard it first in How I Met Your Mother and just had to use it. I can hear Penny's voice really clearly in my head as she says it too.

      Glad you liked it ;)

      Delete
  6. That excerpt sounds so good! Is this really coming out in 2 days? Can't wait to get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Terah :)

      Great to have you as part of the Carnival too. Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete