Friday, November 2, 2012

The Story Behind Betwixt

As a reader, I love to know the history of a book - how it came to be, what inspired the author to come up with the concept.

Since we're having a Betwixt Pre-release Bash, I figured I may as well include how Betwixt was born and raised.

To be honest, the premise for Betwixt is not my own. I saw a preview for the movie, Invisible, and thought it was amazing. I couldn't wait to see it and when I did, I actually came away a touch disappointed. In spite of that, I couldn't stop thinking about the movie - the stuff they'd done well, the stuff I thought could have been done better.

As the movie played around in my head, a story of my own was born. I never thought I'd write though, because it was too similar to the movie and I didn't want to be a copycat. So I filed it away in the back of my brain and forgot about it.

Last year the story kept coming back to me. I don't know why, but as it did, it transformed into something different. My characters changed in personality and appearance and as they did, a completely new story evolved. It changed from a search and rescue type story to one of redemption... and these small character changes took it from a light read into something with emotional depth.

Planning and writing Betwixt was easy. Once those few major changes popped into my head, everything fell into place. This project has been nothing but a pleasure to work on.

I was able to draw from some of my own life experiences as I wrote this. There's always something cool about being able to leave a small piece of yourself behind in your work and my hope is that this story will touch your heart as it has touched mine.

* * * * *

If you'd like a chance to win a copy of Betwixt, please check out the giveaway below. Only three days to go!! Eeeeekkkk!!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

2 comments: