Friday, October 5, 2012

YA Indie Carnival - The Wolf Pack

YA writers and bloggers unite each week to share their thoughts on what it's like going indie in today's publishing world.

Today we are talking about the importance of the wolf pack when it comes to producing a novel.

"The wolf pack?" you ask. Yes - all the people involved with bringing your book together - making it a work of art.

I personally think that perfection is extremely hard to come by. There is always room for improvement and that is the way I approach my writing. I want it to be the best it can possibly be. It will never be perfect, because writing is subjective so there is no possible way I can please everyone. However, I can do everything I can to make it as close to perfect as I can.

This is where my wolf pack is vital.

Here are the people that I include in the creation of a book. 

- I do the first part on my own - planning, researching, writing the first draft - sometimes I'll bring in my bestie to throw some ideas around with. This is really helpful as talking a concept through can help you iron out any kinks. 

- Next I rally up some critique readers. These are people who are already writers so they know the rules of writing and are able to spot plot holes and inconsistencies. Because they write themselves, they can give you very specific feedback and the writers I use are also honest - which is exactly what I want.

- After my second draft is finished, I think it's a good idea to hirer an editor. Having a professional look over your work is SO incredibly helpful. Like critique partners, they are very good at finding holes in your story structure and also pulling out grammatical errors. 

- Once the third draft is finished, I like to call on beta readers. This is my target audience. Because I write for teens, I tend to visit local schools and ask if the book club or writing club students would be willing to give me some honest feedback. They always are and they always do. I've made quite a few changes to my work thanks to beta readers. 

- Fourth draft then gets finished and I hand it out to proof-readers. These are the fine tooth comb people who are not reading your story for enjoyment or structure, they are simply looking for spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. 

- Fifth draft is finished and formatted and then I call on reviewers. I have been lucky enough to rally up quite a few for Betwixt and I'm really hoping it will boost my sales. The more word and buzz you can spread about your book, the better exposure it will get.

- I also think it's really important to put together a blog tour. I have one being put together for me this time around and I'm loving that. A Tale of Many Reviews are SO great to work with and I'm really looking forward to this tour kicking off.

- The final part of my wolf pack are all my social media connections - asking my friends, family and fellow tweeters and FB peeps to help me advertise my work, LIKE my book pages and basically spread the word as far and as wide as they can.

Each role in this process is important. Your writing needs to be brilliant and your marketing needs to be top notch or your book will not even make it off the ground. Having a group of loyal helpers and supporters around you is key. Make sure you appreciate all their time and effort. It's a two way street. You need to be part of other people's wolf packs as well. I think that's the difference between just writing a few books and turning writing into a career.

If you'd like to hear what the other carni's have to say about wolf packs, you can check out the links below.


And don't forget to check out the YA Indie Carnival site for all the latest updates.

8 comments:

  1. It doesn't take a village, but it takes a trusted group of talented folks. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Trust is a definite factor.
      Thanks, Melissa :)

      Delete
  2. I loved hearing your process. Your dedication and hard work are obvious. Great post! ღ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      It's easy to work hard when you LOVE what you're doing.

      Delete
  3. I bet newbie authors would find this kind of advice invaluable, Melissa! It's really interesting to see how fellow authors work.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Suzy. I've had SO many people help me along the way. It feels nice to be able to pass on what I've learnt :)

      Delete
  4. Your layered approach is so impressive. Thanks for sharing your process. I'd love to hear about how your blog tour turns out. Always looking for good tour coordinators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Bryna :)

      I've done a blog tour with A Tale of Many Reviews before. They were AWESOME. They are hosting my Betwixt tour in December. I would highly recommend them - very professional. I met some really lovely reviewers through my last tour as well.

      I'm really hoping for another great tour in December. Can't wait!!

      Delete