YA writers and bloggers unite each week to share their thoughts on what it's like going indie in today's publishing world.
Today the carni goers are discussing opportunities that indie publishing has given us.
Well, where do I start?
My story goes like most authors probably does... I wanted to write, I wanted to share my books with the world. I learned a few lessons along the way and eventually started (correctly) looking for an agent. After a few years of trying and also improving my writing skills, I got to the point where I had to make a decision. Did I keep submitting my work in the hope I might one day get published, or did I take matters into my own hands and check out the indie route?
I took the plunge and jumped into the indie river... and I'm SO glad I did. Sure - I'm not getting the same sales numbers and exposure as a traditionally published author, but I love being in charge of my writing career. I have met so many amazing people, I have been able to write stories that inspire me and some of my readers, my books are getting great reviews and I am on my way to turning this "hobby" into a career :-)
So - what opportunities has the indie road presented to me?
- the chance to share my work with the world
- the chance to meet amazing authors and bloggers, some of which have become great friends
- the chance to learn and improve my skills as a writer and a marketer
- the opportunity to talk to students about writing and hopefully inspire them to follow their dreams
- the opportunity to own a business (I never in a million years would have thought I'd do that, but when you're an indie author, you own your work and therefore are plunged into the business of writing) I actually love keeping accounts and tracking my stats. I must have more geek in me than I realized :-)
- most importantly, it's given me the opportunity to write stories I love, because at the end of the day - why do we really do this? Because writing makes us come alive :-)
Are you an indie writer?
What opportunities has the indie road opened up for you?
To see what the other carni's have to say, check out the links below.