Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Next Big Thing - Week 13

It is very cool to be a part of this! I love finding out about another writer's work in progress, so you can imagine my excitement when I was tagged by Leigh K. Hunt to participate.

Let me explain...

The Next Big Thing is a chance for authors around the world to tell you about what they're up to. I get tagged and I then tag other authors and so on and so forth.

Totally awesome idea, right?

Okay - so here's mine...

What is the working title of your book?
Betwixt

Where did the idea come from for the book?

I saw a movie once with a similar premise. I loved the concept, but I really didn't like the way it was executed. The idea stayed with me for years and slowly changed and morphed into something really cool. That's when I decided to write it. 

What genre does your book fall under?

Young Adult Paranormal Romance

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

I always find this question really hard, because sometimes there is no actor that fits the profile perfectly. The closest I've come to is this:



Nicole Tepper - Mila Kunis. She can be very sassy and I love this particular picture of her. To me, it is very Nicole. I can imagine her looking at a lot of people that way. 



Dale Finnigan - Penn Badgley. When I first created Dale, Penn Badgley in John Tucker Must Die, jumped into my head. I think it was his springy curls :) His manner in that movie reminded me of Dale and I think it is a really fit actually. 

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Wild child Nicole is lost in the woods dying, but her spirit is searching for someone who can hear her and the only guy who can is the one guy who has more reason to hate her than anybody.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

Self-published. I'm an indie through and through :)

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I was really lucky and received a writing weekend for my birthday present this year. I had already planned the novel really thoroughly so writing the first draft was quite fast. I got through half of it on my weekend away and the rest was wrapped up within a week or so.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

I guess Here After by Tara Hudson is kind of similar, although Betwixt has a slightly more contemporary feel.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?

As I said earlier, the idea came from a movie I didn't enjoy :) However, the story grew to become what it is now by reflecting on some of the things I've faced in my own life and also some of the tragedies my family has had to deal with. Sometimes in life you need rescuing. 

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

I have never written a character like Nicole before, she can be a smart mouthed, temperamental cow, yet she's lovable and easy to empathise with. I had so much fun creating her and I ended up falling in love with her little quips and sharp tongue.

Betwixt is very close to release now... November 5th. Can't wait!!
If you'd like to add it to your reading list, here's the link: Betwixt on Goodreads.

And the five authors I would like to tag are:

Jeff LaFerney - Mr. LaFerney is a fantastic writer and has published three books. He is such a great guy and very supportive of fellow writers. I am really excited about his next project and can't wait to see it finalized so I can read it!

C. M. Keller - Ms. Keller is the author of Screwing Up Time, a book I very much enjoyed. The sequel is due out very soon and I was lucky enough to be an advanced reader. I really, really enjoyed it. Can't wait for it's release.

Michelle A. Hansen - I was lucky enough to work with Ms. Hansen on an anthology project - A Taste Test. She was so fantastic work with. Her first book, Painted Blind, was released this year and I am very excited to see what she's working on next. 

Melodie Ramone - I just met Ms. Ramone through Twitter. She is awesome. Her blog is fantastic and if it reflects her writing style, I'm super pumped to find out about her work in progress.

Have fun reading about their WIPs as well. They will be posting theirs next week.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out, Melissa!

    I have to say that I got an Advanced Readers Copy of Betwixt and it was great. I think it's going to be a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay. I'm so glad you enjoyed it :)
      It was a total pleasure to tag the five authors above. You guys are all awesome.

      Delete
  2. I loved reading more about Betwixt. Can't wait for November! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading Betwixt. Keep me up to date on the schedule and I'll help all I can. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melodie. You're awesome.
      Keep me posted on release dates for your book too. It must be super soon now!! Exciting :)

      Delete