Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Best Thing About Marketing

I'm sure I'm not alone when I hear the word marketing and cringe. It's so not my thing. Frankly, marketing is just something that gets in the way of my writing.

Unfortunately, marketing is an essential part of being an indie author - any author for that matter. I have come to realize that as much as I don't like it, good marketing can make any book sell pretty well, no matter how good it is... or isn't. People may disagree with me on this, but I have read some super sellers that I've felt pretty blase about, but also stumbled across some of the most brilliant reads that are currently ranked in the 300,000 on Amazon.

I am in the pre-marketing phase of Betwixt, getting ready to launch the book in November. I'm trawling through all these amazing articles on how to market well and learning what I can. It doesn't take away the groan factor though and if anything I find it overwhelming. I am a very small fish in the world's biggest ocean :)

However, since I am one of those people that always has to find a positive in everything (I grew up in an attitude of gratitude household), I am sitting here searching for the best things about marketing and this is number one...

Connections.

I have spent hours drumming up reviewers, making connections through Facebook and Twitter and I have to say, it's been awesome. There are so many amazing people out there in the writing/blogging world. I have made some great friends through social networking and even if my book fizzles (which hopefully it won't!), I can at least look back and be super happy that I've made some excellent contacts I can keep in touch with.

So - if you're like me and marketing is something you struggle with, I encourage you to look on the bright side.

What do you think is the best thing about book marketing?



6 comments:

  1. I agree, Melissa. I cringe and struggle constantly with that aspect of being a writer. But If I had not gone on linkedin, facebook and twitter I would never have met the folks on Indies Unlimited, who have almost become family, now. And I have made numerous other friends and connections as well. The other upside is that in the struggle to get myself out there I have learned a lot about using computers and other stuff related to networking. And that is thanks to all the support I have received from fellow authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indies Unlimited does rock. I feel very privileged to be a part of it. I have learned so much from other authors. It's been a great experience.

      Delete
  2. Best thing? When others get involved and help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I love being able to support other authors. I wish I had more time to do more, but even a little retweet or FB time can help with exposure.
      The writing community is a very cool place to hang out.

      Delete
  3. "I have read some super sellers that I've felt pretty blase about, but also stumbled across some of the most brilliant reads that are currently ranked in the 300,000 on Amazon."

    So TRUE! That's the sad thing about the old way of publishing. The 'gatekeepers' aren't doing the greatest job of bringing readers the best stories.

    "I am a very small fish in the world's biggest ocean."

    This is true, too. It really hit me when I passed 1000 followers on Twitter and realized most of them are writers. 0_0

    Like you, I think the super-supportive writing community is one of the best things about this business.

    Great post, Melissa. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Melissa.

      Re: what you said about Twitter. Yes - it is hard to reach other audiences sometimes. In saying that, the writing community is great at promoting each other, so maybe having lots of writing followers is the way to go :)

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete