Friday, August 24, 2012

YA Indie Carnival - Off To College

YA writers and bloggers unite each week to share their thoughts on what it's like going indie in today's publishing world.

With moving to China, I had to let a few things go. YA Indie Carnival was one of them, but I am VERY pleased to be back on board with this awesome group.

Today's post is all about going to college. So far, I haven't actually written any "off to college" type scenes. I'm sure they will come, but for today I thought I'd talk to you about the actual experience.

In New Zealand, my home country, not many students go off to college. Not like they do in the States. A large portion of them stay at home and make their way to University each day. It's a great way to save money, but man - I so wished for that college experience. I think it's really healthy for kids to go off to college. I know it would have been a little scary and sometimes overwhelming, but I would have loved the adventure of it. A chance to spread my wings and work things out on my own.

Did you go off to college?
Are you at college now?
Was it/is it a good experience?

If you'd like to read some more about the whole college thing, check out the blog links below.
And don't forget to check out the YA Indie Carnival site for all the latest updates.

1.Laura A. H. Elliott2.Bryna Butler, author Midnight Guardian series
3.Heather Self4.T. R. Graves, Author of The Warrior Series
5.Suzy Turner, author of The Raven Saga6.Rachel Coles, author of Into The Ruins, geek mom blog
7.K. C. Blake, author of Vampires Rule and Crushed8.Gwenn Wright, author of Filter
9.Heather M. White, author of The Destiny Saga10.Liz Long | Just another writer on the loose.
11.Ella James12.Maureen Murrish
13.Valerie Sloan14.YA Sci Fi Author's Ramblings
15.A Little Bit of R&R16.Melissa Pearl

2 comments:

  1. I got my Associate's Degree from the local community college while attending high school (took a TON of college credit courses, plus a Dual Enrollment program we had where you actually went to the college the first-half of each day).

    Later, I went away to college, but it was only a 4-hour drive from my parents, so while I could still go home on the weekends without having to make too big a deal of it, I was still far enough away to feel like I had my own freedom. I went to a private college with only around 3,000 students for my first 2 years, and coming from a small town, that really helped a lot (plus, it's where I met my husband <3 ) Then, I transferred to a state school in the state's capital, with close to 35,000 people. BIG change!

    Finally, I completed graduate school online, so I think I had the entire range of all things college-related, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Kristin. You really covered all your bases :) The little private college sounded super cool - I do so much better in smaller crowds :)

      Delete