Monday, August 20, 2012

This is me... in China!

Hey everyone :)

Well, the brief hiatus is now over. I'm back and it feels SO good to be here.

We arrived in China August 2nd and I have to be honest and admit that it's been a very challenging couple of weeks. With sickness plaguing each family member in turn, we were at the doctors three times in the first week! Then of course there is the massive language barrier and I can tell you that being dropped at the wrong location, in a city you don't know, and having to try and sign language your way out of it, is not a fun experience.

In saying that, Suzhou is a very cool city. I really like it. Living in another culture is a total eye opener. The smells in the supermarket definitely raise the eyebrows and the driving habits are going to be something to get used to. I love all the people - their friendly faces and eager smiles. Everyone thinks little Brody is adorable with his blond hair and they all want to wave at him and say hello.

We bought e-bikes yesterday, they are a bicycle with a battery pack that you plug in each night. I'm really looking forward to scooting around with the family and checking out some of the amazing sculptures and sites in Suzhou. There are so many things to do here. I am sure I will never get bored.

So although I have many challenges ahead of me, I also know that life is meant to be lived and I feel as though I am definitely doing that. Writing is a saving grace. It is so awesome to have that constant in my life and my current project is coming together nicely. I have also been lucky enough to be struck with a total brain explosion in the last week, which will hopefully turn into a fantasy trilogy. I've never tried anything like it before and I'm really excited. My brain takes very long walks into this new world while I'm walking to buy my fruit and veggies or taking Brody to the playground. It's a morning routine I've come to love.

So that's me for now. I'm hoping to start posting regularly again from now on. Fridays will be all about the YA Indie Carnival and then I'll do one other regular post a week. I'm aiming for Mondays/Tuesdays - depending on your time zone :)

I hope everyone else is doing really well.
I'm looking forward to catching up on everyone else's news.

(Photo is the view from our apartment window)

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear everything is going well (albeit through a language barrier!), and the fantasy trilogy seems like it will be exciting! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kristin :)
      Yes - I am very excited about this new trilogy. I've decided 2013 will be the year of the Elements Trilogy. Hopefully I can pull it off and produce all three books in one year!!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful adventure. Seeing another culture from the inside can be a great inspiration booster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true :)
      Thanks for stopping by, Yvonne.

      Delete
  3. Oooooh - don't you just LOVE brain explosions!??
    Exciting times in China. Amazing country - I enjoyed every moment I spent there, and believe me - I know exactly what you mean about getting stranded in a place that you can't communicate in! Happened to us a number of times over there. All good fun :-)
    Xoxoox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brain explosions are the best :)

      I feel as though I really need to learn some Mandarin. Once I get my head on straight, I'm going to start making a concerted effort to learn a few key phrases :)

      Delete