Friday, August 31, 2012

Do You Ever Read A Book More Then Once?

YA Indie Carnival is having this Friday off because of Labor Day Weekend. I'm currently in China so no Labor Day for me :)

Instead I thought I'd post about the kinds of books I read during my holidays.

When you know you're getting some time off and you can bury your nose in a book, guilt free, what do you go for?
Something by an author you've never read?
Something in a different genre than what you're used to?
Or do you stick with the familiar? A safe guarantee of a good read?

Me? I like to jump back into a story I've read before. It's fun to hang out with favourite characters again. Even though I know what's going to happen, I still enjoy it. I desperately wait to get up to favourite scenes or points of tension. If anything, re-reading books helps me get more out of them. I notice more the second, third, fourth time around.

Now I tend to have very long gaps between re-reading books so more often than not I've forgotten most of the details, bar those few special scenes that are burned into my brain. Even so, at least once a year, I like to read a book I've already enjoyed before.

My best re-reads are: The Mark of the Lion Trilogy by Francine Rivers and The O'Malley Series by Dee Henderson. Ooo - I also love Dee Henderson's series about the marines. That's awesome.
I must have re-read all those books at least three or four times.

So - how about you?
Are you a re-reader? And if you are, what are the books you always go back to?

4 comments:

  1. My TBR pile is always quite large, so I'm often eager to dive into a new book, but I do love to revisit an old favorite. I've read 'Wuthering Heights' several times, and 'Fahrenheit 451,' too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wuthering Heights. That's such a great book :)
      Thanks for stopping by, Erin.

      Delete
  2. I love Francine Rivers! I have reread her Redeeming Love! I felt all is right in the world at the end! I have reread Pride and Prejudice and have reread any number of Marcia McClure's books! I have way too many books on my tbr list and just get further behind when I do reread, but when you know something is good - you just can't help but read it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Redeeming Love is SUCH an amazing book. I'm blown away every time I read it... and it does have the best ending :)

      Delete