Sunday, July 8, 2012

One Of My Motivations

Before having children and jumping on the writing train, I was a school teacher. I taught 11 - 13 year olds. Such a great age and so much fun to interact with.

One of my main motivations when I started writing was to produce fiction for those kids who didn't love reading. The amount of times I'd sit with a student trawling through a plethora of books, trying to find something that would spark their imagination. It was all about finding something they were interested in, and that was written in a simple, fast-paced manner.

So - when I decided to really get serious about writing, one of the things I carefully considered was making sure my work was easy to read, fast-paced, filled with a ton of action and dialogue, and because I was one of those girls that hated reading at school, I also wanted to make sure each of my stories had a strong romantic element. I swear, if books like the ones I write and the ones that are readily available today were around when I was a kid... I would have gotten into reading a lot sooner.

This is why I have started writing YA. I have some adult stories that I want to write eventually, but for now YA is where I'll kick around. The beauty with YA is that adults seem to enjoy it just as much as teens do :)

I think books are filled with magic. I think they ignite the brain and teach children things they can't learn anywhere else. I take my hat off to people like J. K. Rowling who have written books that have children scrambling to get to the bookstore. Now, I'm not sure if she specifically wrote those books with her children in mind or whether she just had a really massive story that she had to get onto paper, but I think it's important to consider what motivates us.

Why do you write?
What do you want your books to achieve?



3 comments:

  1. Great post Melissa,
    I got into writing YA for a lot of the same reasons. I was really trying to fill a niche for young boys because so much of middle grade and YA is geared toward females.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so true, Jim. I can't help but write for girls - it's just the way my brain is wired. I think it's awesome you are focusing on books for boys. We need more of those :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article.I can't wait for winter to be able to wear boots again.

    ReplyDelete