Friday, June 29, 2012

YA Indie Carnival - Fireworks Fiction... Scenes With Sparks

YA writers and bloggers unite each week to share their thoughts on what it's like going indie in today's publishing world.


Ooooo - this should be fun. I can't wait to read what other people post this week!!


I've been trying to think about books with sparky scenes and I keep coming back to Betwixt. I guess it's fresh in my brain as I'm currently working on edits.


The two main characters, Nicole and Dale, have a very sparky relationship. They are constantly bickering, but secretly, I think they both kind of like it.


It was a struggle to find a scene that doesn't contain spoilers, but I think this one will work.


Nicole and Dale have just bumped into Sophie, a shy senior who is totally besotted with Dale. Little does Nicole know that Dale has his sights set on somebody else... :)



The corridor is empty as we make our way back towards the quad. I turn to Dale, completely flummoxed.
“What is wrong with you? That girl is on your doorstep, man. Let her in!”
“Maybe I don’t want to let her in.” 
“What, you think you’re gonna do better?” 
Dale stops in his tracks and gives me a dark look. 
I cover my mouth with my hand and wince. “I didn’t meant to say it like that. What I mean is… she seems sweet.”
He tips his head to the side, his right eyebrow jumping north, adding extra power to his droll expression. 
I stupidly keep talking. “Come on, she totally looks like your type.”
“How would you know what my type is? You don’t even know me.” Dale turns and starts walking again.
I run to catch up with him. Glancing at his mangled face, I say, “Is it because of the scar? Because there are some awesome plastic surgeons in LA. They could fix that up for you.”
“No, it’s not because of the scar and I don’t need it fixed. I like it this way.”
“Really? Why?”
He closes his eyes and sighs. “It’s a good reminder.”
“Of what?” I look up at his pinched mouth.
“Nothing.” He shakes his head.
I bite my lip, unsure how to respond. My curiosity is definitely peaked. “I was just wondering if the scar made you feel-“
“Would you shut up about it! Jeez, Nicole! You have the sensitivity of a shark.”
My mouth drops open and I shoot him a scowl that I totally forget he can’t see. “I was just trying to be helpful.”
“How?!” He spins to face me. “How is your constant chirping in my ear helpful?!?”
“I… she’s a girl who likes you!” I point back down the corridor.
“You don’t have to play cupid, okay. I can look after my own love life.”
“What love life? You barely have any friends, let alone a girlfriend.”
He groans and looks to the ceiling. “You want to help me out, Nicole?” Leaning towards me he gets right in my face and yells, “Stop talking!”

If you want to read some more sparky scenes, check out the links below.



And don't forget to check out the latest news on the YA Indie Carnival Blog.

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh this sounds good! Love your sparky scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm having so much fun working on this book!

      Delete
  2. Thank you. I'm just about to design a photographer portfolio website and where i find out I don't know.

    ReplyDelete