Friday, June 15, 2012

YA Indie Carnival - Fathers

YA writers and bloggers unite each week to share their thoughts on what it's like going indie in today's publishing world.


I have the world's greatest Dad. No - I'm seriously not being biased. He is amazing. I feel very blessed and lucky to have grown up with him. He has taught me so much and loved me unconditionally every step of the way. I couldn't have asked for a better person to raise me. Both my parents are awesome, but I have to admit, I've been a Daddy's girl.


So writing a father figure who is awesome was quite easy for me. I had so many good examples to go by. Gabe Hunter from the Time Spirit Trilogy is my favourite father figure I've ever read or written. He's not exactly like my dad, but there are many similarities. He became my favourite character of the trilogy pretty quickly and he is everything Gemma needs to face the battles she encounters.


So often in YA fiction there is tension between the teen and their parent. I know this is necessary to create the conflict and angst needed for a good story, but it is always refreshing to read a book where the family connections are strong. A movie that comes to mind here is Easy A. I LOVE this movie and one of the main things I love about it is the family dynamics. She has very cool parents who she can be open and honest with. It is a really healthy family and balances all the other crap she's going through quite nicely.


So - to all you awesome fathers out there. Thank you for taking the time to love us, protect us and care for us. There will never be enough words to truly share our appreciation.


To check out what the other carni's recommend, click the links below.


And don't forget to check out the latest news on the YA Indie Carnival Blog.



1.Laura A. H. Elliott2.Bryna Butler, author Midnight Guardian series
3.Heather Self4.T. R. Graves, Author of The Warrior Series
5.Suzy Turner, author of The Raven Saga6.Cheri Schmidt, author of the Fateful Trilogy
7.Rachel Coles, author of Into The Ruins, geek mom blog8.K. C. Blake, author of Vampires Rule and Crushed
9.Patti Larsen, The Hunted series and The Hayle Coven series10.Amy Maurer Jones, Author of The Soul Quest Trilogy
11.Fisher Amelie, author of The Understorey12.Gwenn Wright, author of Filter
13.Melissa Pearl, Author of The Time Spirit Trilogy14.Heather M. White, author of The Destiny Saga
15.Courtney Cole Writes16.Liz Long | Just another writer on the loose.
17.Ella James18.Maureen Murrish
19.Valerie Sloan20.YA Sci Fi Author's Ramblings


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the parents in EASY A... they are just so funny. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it the BEST movie. It's definitely made it into my Top 10.

    ReplyDelete