Wednesday, June 6, 2012

What Would You Recommend?

I have to admit that I am a very selective and possibly quite narrow-minded reader. I like stories with a strong romantic element, but also filled with tension, drama and mystery.

I read other types of stories and do enjoy them, but I come back to the above criteria over and over.

So - when my sister-in-law asked me to recommend some books for her son, I was a little stumped!

It's quiet a lot of pressure recommending a book to be honest. Writing is so subjective. What I love you might find stupidly sappy, what you love I might find boring and lacking in emotion.

When you recommend a book to someone, what types of books do you go for?
What do you like to read?

By the way - I recommended the Alex Rider Books by Anthony Horowitz and the Gone Series by Michael Grant. Any other suggestions?

I love finding out what people are reading. I often ask in my blog posts. I have been recommended some great books over the past year. My reading list is getting a little ridiculous :)



6 comments:

  1. My favourite type of question, book recommendations!

    If he's an enthusiastic reader and likes a challenge I would recommend Patrick Ness's The Knife of Never Letting Go Series.

    If he falls into the more reluctant reader category then Robert Muchamore's Cherub series is an absolute winner (the teen male equivalent of Lee Child)

    Or for some great New Zealand content, then Des Hunt's books are great, brimming with action and adventure.

    I could go on...

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent!!! I have jotted those down. Thank you SO much :)

      Delete
  2. I'd recommend Running Wide Open by Lisa Nowak. It's a YA book about driving race cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. I'll add that to my list :)

      Delete
  3. The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan was great.

    The Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer.

    Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy.

    Redwall books by Brian Jacques.

    Ranger's Apprentice books by John Flanagan.

    And, of course, there's The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. My boys fell in love with those books even when they were very young.

    ReplyDelete