Monday, June 18, 2012

Editing

You often hear a collective moan when the E word is mentioned around writers.

Editing.

Groan.

Yes, editing. It can be a very hard task and it can be one of those tasks you never ever finish... especially those of us who strive for perfection with our manuscripts. I don't know many writers who don't.

That's why there are these spectacular people called editors that help us writers out. What would we do without them.

I have now finished my first draft of Betwixt and I'm getting it ready to send to an editor. Before I send it though, I obviously want to do some revisions and this time around, I decided to read a helpful book before getting started.

Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King.

It was awesome. It's a really practical book with suggestions and tips that are easy to execute. At the end of each chapter is a checklist to help you focus on particular areas as you go.

I would highly recommend this book to any writer who is in the throes of editing.

My goal is to send my manuscript off to my editor and for her to reply that only minimal changes are needed. Whether or not I can do this, remains to be seen, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

Thank you Rennie Browne and Dave King for writing the kind of book that might just help me get there.


5 comments:

  1. I've seen this book mentioned before, I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should. It's a really easy read too :)

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Remains to be scene? Are you making a pun, bestie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typical! I make an error on a post about editing!!! Proves how much we need to have our work read by someone else :)

      LOL!!

      Delete