Monday, June 11, 2012

Don't Freak Out

Okay, so this post may have some of you seasoned writers rolling your eyes, but what's a blog if you can't talk about your personal journey in writing.

Being a newbie, I am having plenty of ups and downs along this writing path. Maybe seasoned veterans have them too, but some days I feel the effects of this roller-coaster ride way more than others.

So I'm having a small freak out. A mini one really. If I just let the common sense part of my brain talk for long enough, I can convince myself there is nothing to worry about, but the emotional part of my brain keeps over riding it.

May was an excellent month for me. I was doing school visits, heading up a blog tour and I recorded my highest monthly sales since I started in November last year. Awesome!!

This month however is starting with a very minor pop followed by an awkward fizzle. My sales are down (I know, I'm not even halfway through the month, but still!) and I'm just feeling a little slumpish.

Whenever I get like this, I always have to step back and analyze why I'm feeling the way I am. It's the curse of having parents who always made me talk about my feelings. In all honesty, I'm actually really grateful  my parents did that, because now I am able to get to the bottom of my slumpish moments.

 You see a slump in sales is not the end of the world, a little more time and effort spent promoting would probably see my sales start to climb again. I haven't been spending that much time on promotional stuff the last few weeks, because I am desperately trying to get the first draft of Betwixt finished so that I can get it into my editor's hands. Once that's done, I will be able to switch my attention back to marketing.

One awesome thing is that Forbidden Territory is due for release July 1st, so I'm about to kick into major promotional stuff with that. I have my fingers crossed that there will be a slight trickle down effect to my other books, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

SO - even though my emotions want to jump into the pool of depression, my analytical side won't let them, because there are plenty more months in the year, plenty more opportunities out there to sell my books and it's okay to switch off for a couple of weeks to pour some intense energy into writing.

That's how I feel.
If you're a writer, how do you feel during slumpy months?
How do you get on balancing marketing and writing?

Image source: http://www.cafepress.co.uk


2 comments:

  1. Melissa. Hang in there! Here's a post you might find interesting. I did. I think it's part of a bigger trend because of the change in Amazon alogrithms.... http://russellblake.com/i-care/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was an excellent article. Thank you for sharing it with me. I tend to agree. I have shied away from KDP Select, because I wanted to see how it would play out. I was going to give it a go on my next release, but I'm beginning to change my mind. I guess I'll see how things are going in December :)

    ReplyDelete