Friday, May 4, 2012

YA Indie Carnival - Work In Progress

YA writers and bloggers unite each week to share their thoughts, hopes and dreams about what it's like going indie in today's publishing world.


Today's post is all about our work in progress. We are all sharing an excerpt from our current WIP. Now - I actually have two. One is in the final editing stages - Forbidden Territory, and the other is in the planning stages - Betwixt.


I was going to find an excerpt from Forbidden Territory, but I thought it might be fun to jot down a paragraph or two for Betwixt. As I said, I'm still in the planning stages, but the first chapter is really clear in my head, so I decided to have a little go. This may not be the official beginning of the book, but at this stage I'm planning to start the first draft this way, so you never know :)


Betwixt - the story of Nicole, a teenage girl who is hit by a car. Lost and dying in the bush, her spirit leaves her body in search of help and the only person that can hear her is the one boy at school that can't stand her. Caught between life and death, Nicole must convince Dale to find her and help save her life.


I hope it raises lots of questions in your head and peaks your interest. I can't wait to share this book with everyone.



    My boots make a sharp tapping sound as I clomp my way home. The loose gravel at the edge of the road jumps away from my anger, skirting ahead of me then tumbling down the steep embankment.
    I can't believe I'm in this situation. How could my boyfriend be such a jerk? I cross my arms and shiver, trying to block the last thirty minutes from my mind. What will people think? I blink at tears as I imagine the gossip tree shaking with mirth. How was I going to face everyone tomorrow?
    I should have just given in and done what he wanted me to. I had before.
    I look up at the night sky. It is clear and cold, the stars are brilliant with no streetlights to hinder their glow. I'm guessing it's around midnight. I can't see my watch face in this dim light. I can barely see two steps in front of me!
    A cool wind whistles through my clothing and I wish, yet again, that I hadn't chosen to wear my skimpy skirt and paper-thin shirt. Maybe Trent was right. I had dressed for it.
    I look down at my knee-high boots and suddenly feel like a hooker. My lower lip wobbles. I can feel the melt down setting in. I struggle to hold it together.
    I'm stuck in the middle of who knows where. I have no idea how long it's going to take me to walk home... I don't even know which direction home is!
    Trent said it would be romantic, the best lookout he'd ever found. But it wasn't a lookout. It was just a clearing of darkness where mischief could never be discovered.
    Bile swirls in my stomach.
    The metal dog tags clink against my sternum. I can feel them swinging back and forth, in time with my march. I grab them through my clothing and squeeze. I'm tempted to take them off and hurl them into the trees beside me, but I can't. I blame them though... well not them exactly, but the person who gave them to me.
    Why had I put them on? They had been hidden in my jewelry box for months. My fingers had brushed over them as I was searching for my hoop earrings and I'd been compelled to slip them over my head and stuff them beneath my shirt. If I hadn't put them on, I wouldn't have thought of him and if I hadn't had him swimming around in the back of my brain, I wouldn't be in this situation.
    Dale Finnigan.
    Dale Finnigan and his "you should know better look" had a lot to answer for tonight.

I'm so excited about reading the other carni excerpts this week. You can check them out in the links below. We have some new members, which is really cool.

Also - don't forget to check out the latest news on the YA Indie Carnival Blog.

1.Laura A. H. Elliott author of Winnemucca & 13 on Halloween, Book 1 in the Teen Halloween Series2.Bryna Butler, author Midnight Guardian series
3.Heather Self4.T. R. Graves, Author of The Warrior Series
5.Suzy Turner, author of The Raven Saga6.Cheri Schmidt, author of the Fateful Trilogy
7.Rachel Coles, author of Into The Ruins, geek mom blog8.K. C. Blake, author of Vampires Rule and Crushed
9.Patti Larsen, The Hunted series and The Hayle Coven series10.Amy Maurer Jones, Author of The Soul Quest Trilogy
11.Fisher Amelie, author of The Understorey12.M. Leighton, Blood Like Poison Series, Madly, The Reaping
13.Cidney Swanson, author of Rippler14.Gwenn Wright, author of Filter
15.Melissa Pearl, Author of The Time Spirit Trilogy16.Heather M. White, author of The Destiny Saga
17.Courtney Cole Writes18.Liz Long | Just another writer on the loose.
19.Ella James20.Maureen Murrish

8 comments:

  1. lol. I love that last line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's really good and so haunting! From that excerpt, I already know I want to read your books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Heather :)

    LOL - I have your books on my reading list too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Melissa--fantastic. Love the setup and can't wait for the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patti :) I'm REALLY excited about this one. Can't wait to share it with everyone :)

      Delete