Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Being A Team Player

Writing is something you tend to do on your own. Sure, there are some instances where people work collaboratively (Forbidden Territory is one example), but on the whole, writers work alone.

It can be very isolating. I don't actually mind this too much, my imagination makes for great company, but there are huge dangers here.

I think it is really important to be a team player in writing. What I mean by this, is it is really important to make connections with fellow writers and work together - critiquing each other's work, promoting each other, learning what we can from other people's mistakes, passing on what you have learned from making mistakes of our own.

I know it takes time. I know these social interactions can take away from your writing, but they are vital.

I have been lucky enough to have some awesome team experiences in the last six months. I was invited to join a small group called, Inklings. This team is awesome for my self-esteem. These beautiful ladies are the best cheerleaders on the planet. We vent to each other, we celebrate with each other, we teach each other and we do what we can to help promote each other's work.

Another team I just joined recently is the Indies Unlimited group. They are awesome. These guys are huge advocates of indie publishing and are so fantastic at promoting authors who have chosen this route. I am lucky enough to be a monthly contributor and I am learning so much. New opportunities seem to be presenting themselves constantly. It's awesome.

One of the first things I did last year, when Golden Blood first came online, was join the YA Indie Carnival. I love this group. We post once a week about the same topic - celebrating all things YA. I love reading other people's posts and discovering new perspectives on different aspects of writing.

There are many other groups that I am involved with, but these three are my most regular and I am so grateful to be a part of them.

Are you in any groups?
What do you learn from them?
How important do you think being a team player is?

No comments:

Post a Comment