Monday, May 7, 2012

It's A Balancing Act

I have a writing diary. It helps me stay organized. Since having kids, marshmallow brain has kicked in big time and if I don't write it down, I'll totally forget about it.

The problem I seem to be encountering is that my daily lists just keep getting longer and longer. Which poses the question, "When can I get some writing done?!?"

I'm finding the balance between marketing and writing a really hard one to master. I obviously need to market so that people can find out about my books... so that I can make this passion of mine a career. BUT I also need to write so that I can produce books for people to read!

How do I blend them?
How do I find that healthy mix?

I have tried not to spread myself too thin. Social media wise I use Facebook - I belong to about 8 different groups within that, Twitter, Goodreads, this blog and YAlicious (which I co-author with Brenda Howson). I also belong to Triberr and YA Lit Chat. I know I don't use all of these to their full potential. I do what I can, but it still takes up a lot of time. I don't really want to cut any of these out, but they do eat into my writing.

I have given myself the deadline of December to release Betwixt. This is going to be a challenge, but I feel up for it. In order for me to do that, I really have to make more time for writing.

So - I have decided that I am going to have two internet free days a week - my Monday and Wednesday. There will be the odd exception (eg: the Sampler Blog Tour coming up later this month), but hopefully this new strategy will give me a chance to use my son's nap times to write my little heart out.

How do you find balance?
Do you break up your time into segments?
What works for you?

4 comments:

  1. For writing, I try to schedule it into my life. It's the only way I can make sure to get it done. As for marketing, when life gets complicated, it's the first thing to go. Not good. But I'm not sure what to do to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same. This writing business is hard!! At least it's super fun - helps to counter those challenges :)

      Delete
  2. I work hard to find some time to write, but it's tough. I have a demanding/high profile job that involves travel, and I've got kids that want some attention!

    So I've learned to write in micro bursts, and I take a notebook with me just in case inspiration strikes.

    Writer on Fire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - notebooks are a must. I don't go anywhere without mine. You never know when you'll be inspired :)

      Delete