Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Does Going Indie Count?

As I put myself out there and promote my work, I am plagued by a constant niggle that sits on my shoulders taunting me. It whispers in my ear with an evil little laugh saying, "But you're only indie, it's not like you're a real author."

So - I've decided to flick this little niggle off my shoulder and talk about the topic.

I don't know if anyone else out there has struggled with the same issue, but sometimes I find it hard to hold my head high and say, "Yes, I'm a published author."

Why?

Because I chose to self-publish. I had no validation from an agent or a big publishing house telling me my work was awesome and would sell millions.

As I walk this journey though, I am beginning to realize that I don't need that validation to hold my head high. Sure, my books aren't selling like hot cakes... yet :) I will forever hope! BUT the people who are getting their hands on them are really enjoying them. I am getting great reviews. I am getting validation from the most important people out there - the readers.

I am also discovering a massive community of indie authors who are fantastic people. They are all doing something they are passionate about and their enthusiasm is contagious. Indie authors are also the kind of writers who want to put books out there that people can afford. I have read some brilliant indie books in the past year and I never would have found them if I hadn't taken the plunge into this awesome world.

As a side note: I just want to thank all the readers out there who help promote the indie movement. On behalf of all self-published authors out there - we love you!!

So, if you're an indie author and are currently struggling with doubts (I go through this slump at least once a month :)), then I encourage you to shake it off, hold your head high, wave your flag and say with a beaming smile that you are a published author and yes, going indie most definitely counts.

What do you think?


13 comments:

  1. Great post Melissa.You are completely right that the most important validation comes from the readers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the writer of a very very slow-to-be-finished book, I think that anyone who completes and publishes a novel, no matter through what means, deserves huge amounts of respect!

    Yes lady you are indeed a real author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy :)

      Good luck with finishing that book :)

      Delete
  3. You are taking a brave, beautiful step in your life. I've self-published, and I know that road a bit. Now, being with a small press, I'm learning that road and it's not any easier, it seems. One day I hope to go even bigger, and I doubt it will be easier, either. Publishing is hard. It's hard to put yourself out there, no matter what. I admire you as a writer and person! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so lovely, Michelle. Thank you so much :)

      I agree that no matter avenue you take, it is really hard work. Thankfully it's also the best, most enjoyable, most fun thing I've ever done as well :)

      Delete
  4. I agree with all of the comments above. You are most definitely a real author!
    According to the definition of 'author' - I think you meet every single criteria. So what if you 'self published'? You are still a 'real' author. You don't have to tell people you self published - all you have to say is that you published, and that you're proud of yourself. You books are seriously good reads... Even if you hadn't published - you should be proud of yourself just for writing such compelling manuscripts.

    au·thor/ˈôTHər/
    Noun: A writer of a book, article, or report.
    Verb: Be the author of (a book or piece of writing): "she has authored several articles on wildlife".
    Synonyms:
    noun: writer - originator - creator - composer - scribe
    verb: write - compose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL :) You're awesome Leigh. One of the world's best cheerleaders. Thanks for those encouraging words :)

      Delete
  5. I'm struggling through those same things. Even despite my friends telling me how very cool it is I wrote a book, every so often the "indie" term affects me as it does you. I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in this! But you have the attitude I try to keep, too--you're putting your work out there for readers who are thrilled to read it and that feels pretty damn good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice to know we're not alone in the way we feel. Thank goodness for social networking, because writing can be a very isolating craft.

      I'm so glad you're managing to keep that chin up attitude. You wrote a book and there are probably plenty more inside you. You are amazing :)

      Delete
  6. I am so glad you did this post. I have this same meltdown monthly, BUT I have been reading Bob Mayer's Write it Forward, and he says the only two essential things in this market are the author and the reader. That gave me new perspective.

    I realized that the indie path was the path of most growth for me. I can't just sit at home and write books and expect someone else to sell them, someone else to edit them, someone else to package and market them. I have to grow and be able to do all those things. No, you don't have an editor's stamp of approval, but this is what they won't tell you: they don't like Indie because it is putting a dent in their profits. They used to control all books; now they don't.

    Indie equals creative freedom. Write what you want and let the readers decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the things I'm loving about going indie - the freedom to write what I want, when I want. Sure - I find marketing really hard, but I'm learning new things every day.

      And like you said - the most important thing is the writing. I get to write and share my work. Best feeling ever!!

      Delete
  7. Yeah, I've struggled a lot with this. But like Michelle above, I chose the indie path because I thought it would give me the most room to grow. It gave me the most control. I still psych myself every now and then with the whole: "You're not a real author," but for the most part... I'm getting more confident with saying it out loud.

    ReplyDelete