Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Okay, so here's the truth...

March was a crazy month. I had so many awesome book things going on thanks to the Golden Blood Blog Tour, among other things. I had new Twitter followers, new Facebook likers, the most sales I'd ever had, great reviews flooding in. It was amazing!

Now April has arrived and I feel like it's all come to a screeching halt. I know things go up and down so I'm not actually too stressed. If anything, life has come into a quiet patch... and this is where I'm struggling.

After months of busy marketing and frenetic work, I am now in a place where I can really focus on my WIP... the one I have been trying to get into for a few months now, but have had to keep pushing aside.

I had some time free yesterday and flapped about doing everything but getting stuck into my writing. I had lots of little jobs to get done... jobs that possibly could have waited, but I kept reasoning that if I could just get them out of the way first. Last night I had another chance to write and once again I filled the time with excuses. As I hopped into bed, I had to ask myself why... and here's the truth.

I'm scared.

I haven't written anything in a really, long time. It took me three years to finalize The Time Spirit Trilogy and the next book that's due out - Forbidden Territory - was written before I even started the trilogy. Sure, we've done major edits on it, but it has been a REALLY long time since I sat down and started a project fresh and I'm worried I can't do it.

What if I've lost my touch?
What if this book totally sucks?
What if I can't pull it altogether?
What if I can't write a page turner?

The doubts seem to be endless.

Is that stupid?

Logically, I know I can. I just have to start, but procrastination keeps kicking my butt.

Do you ever feel this way?
What holds you back from writing?

5 comments:

  1. You can do it!! It's okay to be scared. Everyone that I know is scared when they start writing a new book. Just sit in front of the computer and try writing for 15 minutes. If nothing happens, do it again tomorrow. I bet it won't take long before ink will be spilling from your fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouragement, Connie :) I am pleased to say that after publishing this post, I opened up Scrivener and got started on character profiling and research of the setting. It's great to get started... am feeling excited already. Hopefully by the time I get to the writing, it will just flow naturally. One day at a time :)

      Delete
  2. I know you can do it! And I can't wait to read it.... write write write!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the world's best cheerleader. Thanks sweetie :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing superb informations. Your web-site is so cool. I'm impressed by the details that you’ve on this web site. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject.replica hermes scarves, replica Mulberry wallets

    ReplyDelete