Monday, April 9, 2012

Have you ever read STORY?

I know I harp on about this book all the time, but I just think it is brilliant.

STORY by Robert McKee is a book all about how to write a lasting story that people will remember. It breaks down each element of a good story and picks apart all the things that are put into... the things that make it magical.

It is quite a complex book and when I was reading it the first time, I took really thorough notes to help me try and understand it better. I'm so glad I did. 30 pages later and I felt like I had a really good grasp on what he was trying to say.

Now, I am the type of person that thinks too much help in writing can sometimes become a hindrance. I have read quite a few books on the art of writing and now feel it is more helpful to focus on the few that really strike a chord with me.

Before I start a new project, I like to read one book that will get me in the right frame of mind. So over the last few days, I have been revising STORY. I have ended up writing three pages of notes for my project and I still have more to go.

I'm so excited. I stumbled across STORY when I was nearly finished with the Time Spirit Trilogy. I applied what I could, but it's not the same as starting afresh with all these cool things I can implement. I feel like this next novel is going to be stronger because of the time I am investing in planning and research.

Have you ever read a helpful writing book that you refer to constantly?
What do you love about it?
Do you think too many books can be a hindrance?

2 comments: