Friday, March 9, 2012

YA Indie Carnival - Seasons in Writing

YA writers and bloggers unite each week to share their thoughts, hopes and dreams about what it's like going indie in today's publishing world.


This week is all about seasons. Life is full of them, they usually move in cycles and we always have our ups and downs within each one.


I love that we have different seasons though. Weather wise, I'm always ready for the next season to start. I love the change in the weather, the start of a new phase.


Although, when I talk about writing seasons, I'm not thinking about the weather. I have been writing for ten years and within that I have gone through many different seasons...


There's, of course, the planning season. I guess this is kind of like spring. Everything is fresh and exciting as a new idea is born. I keep on wanting to hide myself away so I can formulate the story, come up with scenes and piece together these characters that are invading my head space.

After that I usually drift into a writing season. This is where I hunker down and really get the bulk of my story out. I tend to edit as I go, so the writing season can be quite a long one. Sometimes the planning season will swirl through the middle of it with a new idea, but I try really hard to stay focussed on one project at a time.

The fun of the writing season comes to a triumphant end as I finish my final scene then I put my manuscript into hibernation for a little while. I need to step away from the project, let it rest so I can approach it with fresh eyes. I spend this time working on other things. I let spring in for brief stints so I can plan out other stories. I also take this time to work on cover design and marketing plans.

The manuscript comes back in front of me for a serious set of edits. This is my chance to bring new vigour and appeal to the story, to be able to analyse it with a critical eye, lose what I don't need and improve what is already there.

Then comes the scary part - the sharing season. This is where I hand my stuff out to critique partners and beta readers. This is the test. Will the story pass? This season is a painful one, but also vital. The feedback I get from these people is critical to the manuscript's success.

I then head back into another season of editing. Once I'm happy, I can launch into the hardest season of all, in my opinion... marketing. Dread! I still have so much to learn. Hopefully this season will become more enjoyable as I get better at it :)

So - those are my seasons. I like all of them, yes, even marketing.
I guess my favourite is actually the planning and writing. Although editing is pretty awesome too. I love making my work better.

Do you work in seasons? What's your favourite season to work in?

If you want to find out what other carni's do, check out their links below.


And don't forget to check out the latest news on the YA Indie Carnival site.


2 comments:

  1. Ooo very interesting!! Seasons in Writing. Hmm!

    Great blog.

    ReplyDelete