Friday, March 2, 2012

YA Indie Carnival - Block Busters

YA writers and bloggers unite each week to share their thoughts, hopes and dreams about what it's like going indie in today's publishing world.

Writer's block - the curse all writer's never want to encounter, the curse all writer's can't avoid.

I don't know a single writer who hasn't faced it, but today's post is all about how to deal with it.

For me the best block buster method I have is space. When I get stuck in the middle of a story, the best thing I can do, is remove myself from the situation. I close my laptop, push my desk chair in and walk away. 

This separation gives me time to think, to plan, to analyze, to solve. The two best places for  me to do this are:

- the shower (I know that sounds weird, but when you're a mother of two small children, sometimes it's the only "alone time" you get in a day!)

and

- taking my baby for a walk in the pram. I pop my headphones on, blast my music and let my mind work through the problem

It's amazing how a little time and patience can often be the cure. Plots get untwisted, character issues get resolved, better scenarios are presented and I can return to my computer with new energy.

So that's my solution.
What's yours?

I'm looking forward to checking out other carni methods this week. If you want to join me, the links are below. 

And don't forget to check out the latest news on the YA Indie Carnival site.



1 comment:

  1. Yep, 90% of the time and nice, hot shower does the trick. If that fails, I try free-writing.

    ReplyDelete