Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Taking It Easy

I'm sure many of you are in the same boat as me. Writing is not a full time gig, therefore we fill whatever spare time with have with it. I don't mind this at all. I love writing so much that it really doesn't feel like work.

The only problem, is that I end up always working. Even though it's enjoyable, I don't often take it easy. I keep ploughing through no matter how sore my eyes are, no matter how bad my head aches. I just want to get stuff done.

I realized this morning when I woke up feeling... well, not too crash hot, that I have been flirting with burn out.

I don't ever want to get to the point where writing is hard work. If I ever am at a place where the thought of writing doesn't excite me, then I really need to take a break.

I'm not hating writing at all today, but I do need to take it easy. So - after this post, I am going to ignore the call of Twitter and Facebook, put my writing journal away, close my computer for a little while, read a book, have something to eat and just enjoy some time where I'm not putting too much thought into anything.

Now don't get me wrong - I won't be able to resist checking e-mails later today, but I will not be spending a long chunk of time working on my laptop.

I think by doing this, I will be able to approach my work with fresh vigour tomorrow. Let's hope it works :)

Do you take breaks?
How important do you think they are?

5 comments:

  1. Having kids has effecting my writing big time! I remember the days when I would spend my entire lunch hour each day writing, but with all the things I need to fit in my day now, I hardly ever get time.
    I would say I have seasons of writing and then take big long breaks, but I'd really rather have a regular spot each week.
    Hope you are enjoying your mini break!! I do think breaks refresh us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy my break - thanks. Yes - having kids is really hard work when you're trying to write. Thank goodness for nap times!!

      Delete
  2. You're awesome! I agree - sometimes you need a day off. A short break to avoid burn out is crucial. I hope you enjoyed your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. I lay on my bed and ready for an hour when my baby had his afternoon nap. It was awesome!

      Delete
    2. That was supposed to be read - not ready!!

      Delete