Friday, February 24, 2012

YA Indie Carnival - Name That Tune

YA writers and bloggers unite each week to share their thoughts, hopes and dreams about what it's like going indie in today's publishing world.


This week is all about songs that inspire. Now, I know many authors who like to listen to music as they write. I SO can't do that. I find it pulls me out of my writing zone and I get lost in the music.


However, I have been inspired plenty of times by different songs. I'm driving in the car, listening to my music and scenes will be flashing around in my brain. 


Here are a few off the top of my head...


Far Away by Nickleback - I have a fantastic scene played out for this one. Every time I hear it, I imagine my MC going through the emotional turmoil of searching for her lost love and finally finding him. 




Letters From War by Mark Schultz - I've actually planned an entire story around this song. I found the whole concept of a mother writing letters to her soldier son during WW2 totally inspiring. 



Fire Starter by Prodigy - This song is awesome for any fight scenes. When I was first coming up with the character of Gemma for the Time Spirit Trilogy, I would listen to this song and picture her kicking butt in her cool, calm manner. So fantastic!




 (By the way - I don't actually love the video clip for this song, but I just wanted to give you a feel for the music.)


There are many, many more, but of course I can't think of them right now. Typical :)
I'm sure the other carnival goers will have plenty of awesome music to share. Make sure you check them out :)


And don't forget to check out the latest news on the YA Indie Carnival site.





2 comments:

  1. I'm the opposite. I LOVE to listen to music as I write :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Nickelback song gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. It's fab isn't it? I hadn't the Mark Schultz song before but it's beautiful. As for Firestarter, yes you're so right. Perfect for a fight scene... but it's not the sort of thing I can listen to easily... it's a bit on the heavy side for me!!
    X

    ReplyDelete