Friday, February 17, 2012

YA Indie Carnival - Kiss & Tell

YA writers and bloggers unite each week to share their thoughts, hopes and dreams about what it's like going indie in today's publishing world.


This week is all about the kiss and tell. Yes - that's what we writers do. We come up with steamy or sweet or passionate kissing scenes and we tell everyone... in detail.

I love it.

There is nothing better than a well timed, perfectly written kissing scene.

Happy sigh.

Do you have any that pop to mind?

I have a few I can think of.
But just for fun (and because I did a kissing post last Friday), I thought I'd choose a kiss scene that wasn't necessarily romantic.
Here is a little something from Pure Blood, the final book in the Time Spirit Trilogy.

Just to give you some background, Gemma's parents have invited Simeon, an exchange student, into their home. He seems like a nice enough guy, but Harrison is spitting tacs and Gemma is struggling to know whether or not to trust him. It doesn't help that her mother is forcing her to spend every waking minute with the guy.


   It was dark by the time the movie finished. Unsettled and busting for tomorrow to arrive, Gemma rose from the couch and bade Simeon a quick farewell.
   “Hey.” He grabbed her hand and stood. “Thanks for a great weekend. I had a really good time.”
   “No problem.” Gemma tried to pull her hand free, but he dragged her into his arms. Before she could protest his lips were on hers. They felt hot, foreign and so hungry for more Gemma nearly capitulated. If they hadn’t felt so wrong, who knows what she would have done. Pushing him away, she stepped back and wiped her lips with the back of her hand.
   “What are you doing?”
   “What, I can’t give you a good night kiss?” He said with an easy smile.
   “No, you can’t.” Her heart was thundering a mile a minute as she tried to rein in her emotions. Clasping her indignation, she used its force to pull her body tall. “I have a boyfriend.”



Don't forget to check out the latest news on the YA Indie Carnival site.

Also, check out what the other carni kissing scenes...

3 comments:

  1. Great tension. It gives off that "I'm kissing my brother" vibe but leaves it open for the reader to think there'll be something more. Something to get Gemma away from her boyfriend! Congrats on the release:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. Yes - I had lots of fun writing Simeon in Pure Blood. Conflict, conflict, conflict :) I love it.

      Delete
  2. Love this scene, Melissa. I could really picture her wiping her mouth angrily after he kissed her.

    ReplyDelete