Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Saying Goodbye

I thought I'd do a little post about what it feels like to say goodbye.
Confused yet?

Well - as most of you know, Pure Blood is being released very, VERY soon. (Eeeekkkk!!)

I am so nervous and excited all at the same time. The trilogy is finally complete. It means if someone hasn't read Golden Blood yet, they can get their hands on all three books without having to wait. One reader told me the other day that's she's desperate for Pure Blood, because she feels like she's halfway through a great book and she needs to know the end.

The end.

That's what I mean about saying goodbye. I have been hanging out with Gemma and Harrison for three years now. Sure - I've had a couple of breaks in the middle, but these guys have occupied a large chunk of my head space and now they are leaving me.

Or are they?

Do we ever really say goodbye to characters we've spent so much time creating? They become a part of who we are. In fact for Gemma and Harrison, I've actually come up with three more stories I could write for them. I'm not sure I ever will, but it's nice to know they have a place in my brain and I can play with their stories from time to time.

I guess that's why I'm not feeling super sad that I won't be working with them for much longer (still have final edits to do on paperbacks. Technically there should be no mistakes, but you never know. I've read plenty of published books that have them :)). I'll also have promotional stuff leading up to the paperback releases, so it's not like I'm putting them on the top shelf yet, but I won't be writing any new scenes involving them. I guess I might feel differently when I sign off the final paperback in May, but for now, I'm actually feeling kind of peaceful.

The truth is, I'm excited about moving forward and hanging out with different characters and stories for a while.

As a writer - have you ever felt sad finishing up a novel or a series?
As a reader - have you ever closed a book and wished it wasn't the end?

If you haven't entered the Pure Blood Giveaway, this is your last chance. I'm so looking forward to seeing Pure Blood online. There are a ton of exciting things cropping up for me over the next few months and it's so great to have you guys along for the ride.

My next post will be announcing the winners for the giveaway and shamelessly plugging the Time Spirit Trilogy. See you real soon!


6 comments:

  1. I have felt sad about leaving characters for awhile, though thats usually after a first draft - by the time something is totally done I am sure I'll be sick of them! lol as a reader there are definitely stories I have been sorry to see the end of, though ultimately, I think if an author has done a good job of writing a book, I'll feel satisfied when the end of a series arrives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a satisfying ending is key, but also, the more you fall in love with the characters, the harder they are to let you go.
      I read a Nora Roberts series once - The Chesapeake Saga and every time I finished, I always felt a little sad. They were such great characters, I didn't want to stop reading.

      Delete
  2. Very cool. Congrats on getting your trilogy out there. Saying goodbye to characters can be sad, but we can always look forward to new faces. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David. I am looking forward to new beginnings and new characters.

      Delete
  3. Man, I remember finishing my first book and missing my characters like real people. Huh, and I always thought it was just me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone after all. They do become real people. Weird how that happens :)

      Delete