Monday, February 20, 2012

I Can't Find A Con

I was going to entitle this post - The Pros and Cons of Goodreads, but I realized I can't actually think of any cons.

For those of you who don't know - Goodreads is a website all about books. It is so awesome. Signing up is a breeze. Once you've done that you can rate books, check out a plethora of reviews and ratings and start adding to your reading list.

The pros are many.

As a reader...
- when you sign up you only have to rate 20 books you've already read and then you have access to pages and pages of recommendations. I have found plenty of awesome books by searching through the different genre selections
- there is also Listopia - an awesome function that lists books in areas you are interested in. I always go for YA romance type lists and have found a ton of books I'd like to read from
- the ratings and reviews are readily available on each book, making it easy to decide whether or not you'd like to read it
- you can also make friends, see what they are reading and get great ideas from them
- there is the opportunity to become fans of your favourite authors and keep in touch with what they are doing
- authors can add their blog feed into Goodreads, so it can become almost a one stop site in some ways :)
- but my favourite feature is that lovely little 'to read' button. It saves me having ridiculously long sticky notes all over my desk top with books I want to read. I now have it compiled in a nice, neat list on Goodreads.

As a writer...
- the benefits are immense
- you can add your books and ask people to rate and review them on the site. As your ratings increase you get an average score. The more ratings you have, the higher the chances are of your book being noticed
- your books can be added to Listopia - Golden Blood & Black Blood have made it on to Best YA Romance and Best Time-Traveling Romance lists. The more votes you have, the higher your book climbs up the list and your chance of exposure is greater
- as I said earlier, you can link in your blog feed, add quotes from your books, build up an interesting profile, send messages to friends thanking them for good reviews... and many other things
- you can invite people to events eg: the release of your books
- you have the opportunity to get involved with discussion groups or start one of your own
- you can also run giveaways
- and if you want, you can even sell your books through the site

There is plenty more I haven't touched on, but that is a start. If you're not signed up to Goodreads already, I highly recommend that you do.

If you are a member of Goodreads, what are your thoughts? Do you like the site as much as me? Or have you found a con?


8 comments:

  1. I can't agree with you more, Melissa. I've only been on Goodreads for a few months, but I love it. I can't think of any cons to being a part of such a wonderful community. It offers a little bit of everything for everyone.

    The groups I've taken part in so far are amazing. There are detailed book discussions, reading buddies to help you through books you want to read, and terrific author support by fellow authors.

    I'd suggest everyone take a few moments and check out the site. I don't think anyone would ever be sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input Bridget. I'm glad other people like it as much as I do :)

      Delete
  2. You're right - absolutely NO CONS to goodreads! I am not as active on there as some, but I still love it! I would do more if time allowed. I always try to post my reviews though - and keep track of books I want to read! Good list here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do find time, there really is so much you can do. Good luck :)

      Delete
  3. I have yet to join Goodreads. Maybe one day! I have Amazon to keep me busy enough for now, but I will definitely check it out as time allows! BTW, awesome blog you have here! Simply AWESOME! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Jack. You just totally made my day :)

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! I think it's the warm atmosphere that draws me in. So inviting and so comforting! Keep up the great work, I'm loving it! ;)

      Delete