Monday, February 27, 2012

Have you ever read your stuff aloud... in public?!?!

As you can probably tell from my little ?!?! in the title, I find the idea of reading aloud in public just a touch intimidating.

I mean, I read aloud to my son every night, but he's four and adores me, no matter how stupid I am :)
Besides, I'm not reading my stuff to him!

The reason I am bringing this up, is because I have been visiting local school libraries to see if they would be interested in stocking my books. Most of them have said yes and also asked if I would like to come in and do a reading or speak to a couple of English classes about writing. Wow - such a great opportunity!

... and I'm totally freaking out :)

My first reading is this Friday.

Heart palpitations!!

I know I will be fine. I know that some of the kids who hear my stuff will not like it, while other kids will think it's awesome. Hopefully I'll have more of the latter.

I guess it's the risk we take as writers. We put ourselves out there to entertain or teach others... and we have to believe that what we share is good. We work hard to produce something magical. I guess I just need to trust myself, the reviews I'm getting and on Friday... read my little heart out :)

Have you ever read your work in public before?
How was it?
Any advice?

I hope everyone has a great start to their week. Happy reading and writing everyone :)

10 comments:

  1. Hey there. I have, in fact, read a chapter of one of my books aloud and will be doing more public reading soon. My advice is to read slow. Even if you think you're reading slow, read a bit more slowly than you normally would. Our minds work faster than our mouths, so reading slowly will help cut back on stuttering and mistakes. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the advice, Shelley. I will definitely think slow!!

      Delete
  2. Man do I know how you feel!!! When I won a short story competition a few years ago, I was meant to read it aloud for a group of adults and I just couldn't... I made my husband! How chicken is that!!!!!!
    Kids are definitely less critical and will think you are a celebrity!!! AND remind yourself you are a teacher and you used to read to these type of kids all the time!! You'll be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement. I'm sure I'll be fine once I get started, but my stomach has been in knots leading up to it, that's for sure!

      Delete
  3. Oh man - I have heart palpitations just thinking about it. It is the one thing I truly dread and never want to do! No real reason, except that reading aloud freaks me out - especially if it's my own stuff!

    You will have to fill us in on what you learn through the process. It's so exciting - and a wonderful experience. I need to learn what to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know how I go. It's nice to see I'm not the only one who thinks it is uber scary :)

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful opportunity!! I'm so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, so far I've managed to avoid that! Good luck Friday. I'm sure you'll do fine.

    ReplyDelete