Friday, January 13, 2012

YA Indie Carnival - Books I'm Grateful For and Why

YA writers and bloggers unite each week to share their thoughts, hopes and dreams about what it's like going indie in today's publishing world.


Today we are talking about books we are grateful for and why. Man - I have SO many, but I'll try to restrain myself.


Thinking back over my reading years, I'd like to briefly touch on a few books that have inspired and then a few books that have shaped me as a writer.


As a teen the Sweet Valley High Series were the first books that got me into reading. I used to hate it. My parents had to force me to read each night at bedtime. But then a friend loaned me one of the Sweet Valley High books and I was hooked. I read a book a day during the summer holidays and that's saying a lot for a slow poke like me.


The next series that I totally devoured and got me hooked onto a brilliant author, who has inspired me with some of her great works, was the Mark of the Lion trilogy. Those books are outstanding. I read them every two years and still am not sick of them. Francine Rivers opened the doors to a whole bunch of authors I never would have noticed, another being Dee Henderson. I own most of her books and read them every two or three years as well.


Jumping ahead, I have to say that Twilight was a huge inspiration in my writing journey. Upon seeing the first Twilight movie and reading the series, I was totally inspired to write a trilogy of my own that included some of the magic and romance that Twilight encapsulated. I will always be grateful to Stephanie Meyer for starting me down this path.



Writing wise, three books that I will be eternally grateful for are: Story by Robert McKee, The Writer's Journey by Chris Vogler, and Fiction Writing Demystified by Thomas B. Sawyer. These books are solid gold when it comes to plotting and shaping good stories. If you're a writer and haven't read them yet, I highly recommend you take the time. 


There are plenty of books I've missed, but the few I've mentioned have been highlights. 


How about you? What books are you grateful for?


Find out what has inspired the other carnival goers by checking out their links below... and don't forget to check out the latest news on the YA Indie Carnival site.


1.Laura A. H. Elliott author of Winnemucca & 13 on Halloween, Book 1 in the Teen Halloween Series
2.Bryna Butler, author Midnight Guardian series
3.Heather Self
4.T. R. Graves, Author of The Warrior Series
5.Suzy Turner, author of The Raven Saga
6.Cheri Schmidt, author of the Fateful Trilogy
7.Rachel Coles, author of Into The Ruins, geek mom blog
8.K. C. Blake, author of Vampires Rule and Crushed
9.Patti Larsen, The Hunted series and The Hayle Coven series
10.Amy Maurer Jones, Author of The Soul Quest Trilogy
11.Dani Snell’s Refracted Light Reviews
12.Fisher Amelie, author of The Understorey
13.M. Leighton, Blood Like Poison Series, Madly, The Reaping
14.Kimberly Kinrade, Bits of You & Pieces of Me, Forbidden Mind
15.Madeline Smoot, Missing, Summer Shorts, and The Girls
16.Cidney Swanson, author of Rippler
17.Gwenn Wright, author of Filter
18.TG Ayer
19.Melissa Pearl, Author of The Time Spirit Trilogy
20.Heather M. White, author of The Destiny Saga
21.Roots in Myth, PJ Hoover
22.Courtney Cole Writes

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mel! I must check you Francine Rivers series out- sounds interesting
    xx Tee

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you were reading Sweet Valley High, I was reading LOTR and The Dragonriders of Pern... and yet we still ended up here, writing YA... awesome!!

    ReplyDelete