Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Do Unto Authors

The writing world is a very cool place to hang out. Everyone is so supportive of each other. Everyone seems to want everyone else to succeed.

I don't know many fields of work that are so pro at promoting each other.

It is very much a give and take world though. If an author, blogger or reader does something nice for me, I want to repay the favour.

There are so many small things we can do to help each other out. Retweeting, sharing the love on your own blog or Facebook page, talking to your friends about a cool writer you've just discovered, following various blogs and twitter folk, working together on blog tours. It's all so easy and does a world of good for building relationships... and your own writing career.

I have met some totally fabulous people on this journey.

I find it really easy to get sucked into that vortex where it becomes all about me. I have limited time, so it's easy to quickly punch out a blog, post it, post a few tweets, maybe something on Facebook and forget to pay attention to anybody else.

I've learned, very quickly, that that gets me nowhere.

Take the time to give a little and you'll be happily surprised with what you get back.



So - the moral of this little post is:

Do unto authors (bloggers, tweeters, etc.), as you would have them do unto you.

What "give and take" things have you experienced in the writing world lately?

PS - don't forget to check out the Black Blood Contest on YAlicious - some cool prizes to be won :)

6 comments:

  1. Love, love your post! The little things really help out. I have and continue to meet awesome people through blogging just by finding new blogs and commenting back and forth. It's fun and I love meeting other writers. We have so much in common! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think meeting other writers is hugely important. This job is REALLY hard and we need the moral support :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a clever title. Amen to that! And I adore the cover of your book. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you like the book cover. Thanks, Nisa :)

    ReplyDelete