Monday, October 17, 2011

Heist Society

This book by Ally Carter not only has a sensational cover, but is a great read. It's packed full of fun characters, good humor and the tension of trying to pull off a heist that seems way above the MC's capabilities.

Katarina Bishop was raised in a family of thieves, she finally manages to escape the life, only to be drawn back in order to save her father. The intelligent sixteen year old has two weeks to form a crew and put in place the perfect plan. As the clock ticks down you are drawn into a story, which gradually expands to become much more.

I first saw this book mentioned in a blog (sorry, I can't remember which one). They were talking about books that would make good movies... this was one of them and I totally agree. I could see the scenes clearly played out. The dialogue is effective and the plot keeps you guessing. Tidbits are revealed along the way that all become clear in the end. A bit like a teenage version of Ocean's 11.

The writing is full of colourful phrases, something I love in a book. In saying that, I sometimes found it pulled me out of the story as I'd have to re-read a sentence again to make sure I understood it's meaning. I think this is really interesting, because I love to write this way and it made me realize that I probably need to tone down a little and make my writing more succinct.

Definitely check this book out. It's a very entertaining read.

The sequel, Uncommon Criminals was just released this year. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it.

2 comments:

  1. I love Ally Carter's books. I think you'll like Uncommon Criminals too. And before she wrote YA, Ally wrote two chick lit books that were really fun--Cheating at Solitaire and Learning to Play Gin.

    (I'm glad I found your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - that's great. I'll add them to my list.

    I stumbled across your blog this morning when you posted a comment on Jen's blog.

    I'm glad I can follow you too

    ReplyDelete