Thursday, October 27, 2011

EXCITEMENT!!!


I've been keeping this pretty close to my chest, but I can now reveal that I have my first self-published book coming out within the next two weeks. I am so super excited!

My manuscript is all good to go and I've just been waiting on the cover. I got the first draft today and it looks awesome! There's just a little tweaking to do, then I can show you guys.

It is so surreal to work so hard for so long and then to finally have things fall into place. I'm totally euphoric today :)

I spent weeks trying to decide if I should take the self-publishing path. After much research, I decided that I'm going to take a leap of faith and put myself out there. It's scary. People might hate my stuff, but people might also love it. And that's why I write... to gift people that doorway out of reality for just a few hours. To me, there's nothing cooler than getting lost in a book, or a movie, and I want my stories to help people do that.

At the end of the day, I decided that it was better to have even just ten people read, and enjoy, my work than having it stuck on my hard drive doing nothing. My beta readers loved it, my close friends (who swore they were being honest) loved it. I feel like I've got something good here. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. HOPEFULLY I'll be selling a ton more than ten copies :)

Where are you up to in your writing journey?
Have any of you taken the self-publishing path? How have you found it?

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations!

    I haven't taken the self-publishing path yet, but I do plan to do so with some of my short stories. I just need to get the collection finished writing-wise, so I can begin all the "fun" part of editing, cover art, formatting, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I started out on the self-pub path in July. It's been a wild ride, but a good one.

    I can't wait to see the cover art, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay - it's great to know other people are venturing down this road too.

    Connie - my gorgeous husband has surprised me with a Kindle. It's due in the mail any day now. I'm totally planning on grabbing your book. I think it looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Melissa! That's exciting news. I'm pretty sure I'll be self publishing, too. I just need to decide the timing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck. I'll keep an eye out for your stuff, Miranda :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay you!!! This is awesome news. Congratulations and I wish tons and tons of success. It is scary to put yourself out there, but at the end it is all worth it to have just one person love your story rather than, as you say, sitting on your hard drive. I have not self-published yet, but I am considering it. I look forward to reading your story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Melissa. Isn't it wonderful that, as writers, we have so many choices open to us now?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa - thanks for your encouragement. Can't wait to have my book finally out there :)

    Sarah - I'm really loving the choices. It's really hard to get your head out of the mind set that you have to do things the traditional way. I feel like the self-publishing path is right for me and I'm really excited.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! I initially self-published and I did okay with it, but then later thought I was premature in releasing it. I still go back and forth on it. Right now I'm just taking my time and working on my craft until I decide. I like your philosophy that ten people enjoying it is better than it sitting in the drawer unpublished. The freedom and control of self-publishing is also very appealing to me. Best of luck to you. I'll be keeping an eye out for your book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! :) I am really happy for you and wish you lots of success! (I think it will sell way more than 10 copies, of course.) The feeling that people will be able to read your book soon must be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jennifer - thanks for your thoughts... and keeping an eye out for my book :) I think working on the craft is HUGELY important. I want to make sure that whatever I publish is always the best quality it can be. I want to always keep learning and mastering the skills of writing.

    Shelley - It is such an amazing feeling. Scary and exhilarating all in the same breath :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woohooooo! Well done. Can't wait :) Tara xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your 'excitement' picture in your post :-) As your first reader ;-) I can't wait to see your book out there for others to enjoy too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry I missed this before! CONGRATS! Your cover is lovely, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete