Monday, September 5, 2011

The Doubt Demons

You've heard of these guys, right? There those little thoughts that fester in the back of your brain telling you you're not good enough and you don't have what it takes to make it.

They have been plaguing me this week. Little niggles and questions keep leaping through my mind encouraging me to never share my writing with the world. If I put my work out there, I am opening myself up to a world of criticism. People might hate my stuff... could I handle that?

The simple answer is yes and this is how I conquered my fresh round of doubts...

There's a story in the bible where the Israelites need to cross the Jordan River in order to reach the Promised Land. The river is flowing with water and cannot be crossed. God tells the priests carrying the Arc of the Covenant to step into the water. When they did, the water dried up and the entire nation of people was able to walk across.

Basically God was making his people take a step of faith before showing what he could really do.

Last night as I was battling my negativity, I suddenly had the thought, "Step into the river." Now I like to think this is God inspired, but whether it was just me thinking it, or him leading the way, it was a huge encouragement.

If I want to make my passion a career, I need to step into the river. I need to put myself out there and see what will happen. Who knows... people might love my stuff :)

How do you overcome your doubt demons?

2 comments:

  1. I have my days where they're lurking but overall I try to keep them at bay! Some days it works, others it doesn't. I go by a case by case basis, along with day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good move. Tackle one doubt at time :)

    ReplyDelete