Monday, September 12, 2011

The blurb

I don't know about you guys, but I find blurb writing about as hard as the synopsis. How do you write that perfect little paragraph or two, that will have people desperate to read your book?

I sat in the library for ages the other day just going through the YA shelves and reading blurb after blurb. Some of them were awesome, others totally cracked me up and others seemed ho-hum.
I want mine to be in the first category... obviously!

The other thing I'm finding challenging is that I need to write one for each of my novels in the trilogy. I want to assume that most people reading the second and third books would have read the first, so some of the info should be obvious to them. How much do you need to include in your sequel book blurb? I don't want it to be overly wordy.

I've come up with a few different scenarios recently and I'm happy with my fifth attempt so far, but I just thought I'd put the thought out there and find out how you guys go about tackling the blurb.

Hope everyone has a great start to their week. Happy writing everyone :)

2 comments:

  1. ...the blurb for "South of Charm" was an ongoing dilemma that I struggled with throughout the editing process, and to be honest, I'm still not entirely pleased with it ;)

    El

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know. I guess I'll keep chipping away at mine. I'm up to version 7 and I'm starting to like it a little so I'm getting there :)

    ReplyDelete