Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Where do you dream?

You know that feeling when a story rises inside you like it has wings. It flies through your system, flashing images into your mind and filling you with a buzz that makes you feel light and happy.

I love that rush. A seed of an idea forming into a coherent story... or even just a new scene for your current WIP that's exciting and fresh.

I had a moment like that the other day. I was packing away some equipment after a pre-school music session with my son. I was the only person in this empty room and could feel the wings of my imagination start to flutter. I smiled. I let myself bask in it for a minute before dragging my feet back to the cacophony of toddlers.

It got me thinking - where does my imagination bloom?
Usually when I'm on my own. An empty room, a shower box, standing in a forest or on hiking trail where no one can see me. I love those places. I love the seclusion and the freedom to let my imagination take flight.

Does anyone else out there get that same feeling?
Where does your imagination bloom?

Hope you have a great week people :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh yes! I love it when a story seed starts, pushes through, and blossoms. My current story is still circling the brain, waiting to fill me in on what's going to happen. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I saw your comment on Jill's blog and decided to stop by. How beautifully you have described the rush of the new story and how it excites one's imagination. It often happens to me when I'm driving and can write nothing down. I may not remember it all, but a great portion of it comes back once I get behind the keyboard. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I was the only person in this empty room and could feel the wings of my imagination start to flutter. I smiled. I let myself bask in it for a minute before dragging my feet back to the cacophony of toddlers." - Love this excerpt from this post...so evocative of imagination's seeds blowing in the winds of creativity...
    Inspiration hits me at the most unpredictable times. I might be on a bus, I might be waking up, I might be in a crowd of people or I might be sitting on a beach...but there is no feeling like it!

    ReplyDelete