Sunday, August 22, 2010

RWNZ Conference

I have so much to say about this totally cool event. I will update my blog over the next few weeks with the pieces of advice I picked up, but tonight I just wanted to share some personal highlights.

I followed Scott Eagan's advice to be brave and take every opportunity I could get. It paid off.

So - highlights....

- I met heaps of amazing women, one in particular that I made a great connection with. We've agreed to be critique partners.

- I approached the VP of Harlequin, Dianne Moggy, and gave her a casual two line pitch. She gave me her card and asked me to send her editor some chapters.

- I won the raffle prize "Bradford Breakfast" which scored me a 45 minute breakfast with Laura Bradford, Literary Agent. We spent most of the time talking about my current project. She gave me a ton of good advice. At the end I asked her if she'd be interested in seeing some same chapters and she told me to send her my full manuscript! Whoop! Whoop!

- My favorite workshop was a session with some men who specialize in sword fighting and weapons from the 11th -16th Centuries. They happened to sit at my lunch table so I got chatting with them about one of my scenes set in England, 1393. They were so enthusiastic, they took me into a separate room, pulled out all their weapons and walked me through the authentic moves, step-by-step. Plus the leader gave me his cellphone number so I can call with any follow up questions.

- Last totally cool thing (Yes, I'm blowing my own trumpet here, but hey! I'm celebrating!!) During the cold read critique session, Alex Logan, an editor from Grand Central Publishing said she had nothing bad to say about my pages. Talk about your feel gooder!!!

I would love to write more, but am on a deadline for getting this full manuscript to Laura Bradford. I need to edit my work and I want to get it done in three weeks.
I'm going underground until I get it done.

Have fun writing everybody. Will write again soon :)

2 comments:

  1. Good Luck with the Edit....I am waiting with bated breath til Friday!
    Fabulous meeting my new critique partner!! So happy for this opportunity for you!
    Will be checking email inbox on Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Melissa! Sounds like an amazing experience! Have fun getting the full to Laura!!

    ReplyDelete